Sunday, July 18, 2010

Rain is a good thing...

It's been rainy here a lot lately. The forecast isn't looking very bright either, but that's okay with me. Yesterday, Captain J and I didn't let the cold rain stop us from enjoying his time off. We made a trip to the cultural center in town to learn more about the area. Don't you just love random facts? Here's two that I found fascinating:

* Ground squirels bury themselves beneath the ground, curl up in a ball, and wait out the winter while their body temperatures drop to the lowest ever recorded in a living animal---> 27 degrees!

*Moose have a filmy, fuzzy layer on their antlers that is discarded and rubbed off during mating season.

Just, FYI....haha

There was also an exhibit portraying what the Northern Lights look like (for those who haven't seen them, of course). It made me realize how much I'm going to miss Alaska. And dare I say it? I sort of missed winter. The pristine white blankets of snow and the incredible displays of Aurora Borealis make it completely worth spending a year up here. I don't think I've ever posted any Northern Lights photos for you all so I thought I'd share this one that J took right outside our place...


It's going to be hard to pick up our lives and drive out of this lovely state. I'm sure we'll be back to visit, though!

Later that day, we made a trip to the book store, yet again. They were having a buy two get one free sale so we definitely had to take them up on that offer. I should be set now. I have several books lined up to read and I'm thoroughly enjoying the one I'm on now. Reviews to come!

Afterwards, we drove back to our little cabin in the woods and listened to the tin roof sing as the rain poured down. It made for the perfect scenario for a movie night with my hubby. It has been a pretty good weekend. I'm going to get off here and enjoy the rest of it...Captain J is leaving me again soon. :(

Much love,


P.S. Can you picture my dear little nephew singing "Rain is a good thing..."? He's the cutest. Perhaps I can get my sister to send me a video to share with you all.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Mrs K when are you leaving AK I need details!

Mrs. K said...

Hey Jenn! Our date to leave isn't until January...but he is also scheduled for a school in January down in the lower 48 so that doesn't make much sense. We're trying to get orders for November. I'm going home for a visit in September, though! Are you guys hoping to PCS soon?

Jenn said...

It's a bit crazy right now with us. We aren't going to PCS until January 2012 give or take 6 months. We got here in Jan 2010 and with this being a non deployment unit I'm hesitant to leave. especially when we are looking at planning a family and what not. you know the deal.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings