Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Valentine's Day Miracle

February is nearing its end and I still haven't told you about our Valentine's Day. I'm one of those people who likes to celebrate every holiday- no matter how small or ridiculous- and I just can't let the month slide by without a mere mention. I mean, it had to be better than last year's Valentine's Day, right?
The night before I rummaged through a packed closet, searching for a festive bag to put the completely unromantic gift and nonexistent card into. I finally settled on a blue one with white swirlies that didn't look a thing like snow. Or maybe it did. I wrapped said gift up in a single piece of gift wrapping paper and placed it on the kitchen counter alongside a mess of other papers we've been sorting through since our move.
We woke up, said 'happy valentine's day' and commenced to double diaper changes.
Then, J worked on homework.
A couple hours into the day, we were all- oh yeah, let's exchange gifts.
As we sat down at the table, shushing both children as they let out their mid morning wails, I began second guessing the gift I got him. The man is a beast to buy for. If he wants something, he normally gets it himself. Or he will mention that he wants something and then totally forget that he ever uttered those words, making me look crazy....and then he's stuck with stuff like food dehydrators and zombie books. 
There was nothing to cushion this possibly bad gift with either. Typically, there'd be color coordinated food, actual tangible Valentines, or at least booze to add to it. This year, I had no such thing to offer.
Anyway, he opened the Christmas bag, tore off the paper, and stared a bit too long at the package...
Inside, was a shiny new pair of headphones.
I'm smiling at the thought. How random? How stupid. The insecure woman inside of me was screaming, "You idiot. You've done it again. Why do you even try?" I start my usual explanation of why I wanted to get him that and have a revelation that if I have to explain a gift, it's probably not a good one. Still, I soldier on with "You're going to be traveling a lot on air planes. You're going to be working a lot at home. There's noise cancellation! The boys can scream and you won't hear"...yada yada yada.
I tried. I really did. I thought about this gift for months in advance and guess what? I finally purchased and surprised my husband with a gift that he actually enjoys. It only took four years of being together to do it. It's a Valentine's Day miracle.

Our V-Day wasn't at all like the romantic one we spent in Savannah, GA...
and it didn't have cutesy crafts or festive food...
but at least it wasn't spent miles apart like our first Valentine's Day.

The day went by just like any other. And when J's parents showed up that weekend, we got the best gift ever- the gift of time out together sans children!

No matter I had just left the doctor with a diagnosis of "breast infection".
No matter I had just changed no less than 10 stinky diapers that day.
No matter we barely had a week together before he had to leave again.

We were together this Valentine's Day. 

And I reckon that's all that matters anyway.
That and the date night margaritas.

Can I get an amen?



6 comments:

Jen said...

I'm so glad that you were able to go out and just be with your husband for Valentine's Day. :) Love the picture!

Jenn said...

I give up on getting him something he doesn't already know about just like he has for me. I give you so much credit for still trying. After one full year of gift giving I gave up pretty much and just ask him for a list of things he would want. He gets something off the list without knowing exactly what it is. It's a cop out for sure.

Hope you feel better soon!

Fran said...

I'm glad he liked his present but more importatly that you guys got some time together, sans children!

Kathryn B said...

That's awesome! What a thoughtful gift! My husband is very hard to buy for as well. Anything that he wants that he hasn't bought yet is too expensive.
Glad you were able to get some quality alone time :)

Brittany Sommer said...

I love this. I think it is an accurate description of what Ryan and I will be going through starting next Valentines Day when Abriella won't be a year old yet. I'm glad he liked his gift and I'm glad you guys got a little "us" time!

Karen said...

I'm so glad he liked the gift - my hubby is the same - SO hard to shop for. And yay for date night alone time! That's definitely one of the best gifts a parent can get lol.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings