Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Selection Series Review

Listen, you can judge me if you want but I hopped right into this series happily. I'd seen a few people discussing it on social media and as an avid young adult novel admirer, I had to check them out. Ya know, I have to stay relevant. ;) Anyway, it took me about a week to read the series which means that it was good enough to keep me at the book store every other day. Despite my frustrations with the story and the characters, I wanted to know what happened. I needed to know.

The main character, America, finds herself in a competition for the princess crown of Illea and the hand of the prince. Prince Maxon was nothing like she imagined him to be when she begrudgingly signed up for the Selection and she finds herself wanting to know more about him and wanting to stay in the competition she is in with thirty five other girls. A love triangle, a war, and the drama of several teenage girls in competition for the heart of one prince makes the quote regarding this series so perfect:

"A cross between The Hunger Games (minus the bloodsport) and The Bachelor (minus the bloodsport)..." {Publishers Weekly}

That honestly sums it up so well. I enjoyed reading these even if I was trying not to roll my eyes at the elementary way the characters and plot developed. I reminded myself that I'm the one who chose to shop in the Young Adult Section and soldiered through to the end. I'm glad I did. I love a good series after finishing up another semester of school.

Up next on the list?
John Grisham- Sycamore Row

Have you read anything good lately?

6 comments:

Karen said...

I'm reading Wicked by Gregory Maguire right now for my book club... but I just can't seem to get into it at the moment lol. I think I would like this series, so I'm going to check it out :) Thanks for reviewing it!

Anonymous said...

I actually have been wanting to read these!

Bailey Kay said...

Were you team Maxon or team Aspen?

AMY MICHELE said...

I'll have to pick these up next! I'm reading "Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children" and I already bought the "hollow city". I also just finished 2 of the 3 books from Nora Roberts "Dark Witch" series. The 3rd book is released in Oct. <3, Amy

Unknown said...

I just finished my summer classes too and I am most excited about reading these kind of books for the next month and a half. Might have to give these a whirl.

Fran said...

I've heard so much about these - since I'm a fellow YA reader - but I wasn't too sure about them, I might have to check them out though. I just got done reading Rainbow Rowell's new book, Landline, and really liked it!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings