Thursday, July 10, 2014

Life With Toddlers


As a parent to a deaf child, you might think my house is quiet. Au contraire. It is anything but. I've seen videos of toddlers who communicate excitedly but quietly using sign and I think about how pleasant car trips must be for that family. Here? Not so much. My deaf toddler is NOT quiet. He is constantly chattering, which I'm told is a great sign for his future with cochlear implants. I spent most of this past year convinced he had croup because that's what he sounds like. My little seal is squealing and squawking over and over throughout the day. While I'm glad he's attempting to make sounds, it's also very trying on this mama who craves silence and peace. The seal-sounding-toddler teaches the hearing toddler that this sort of communication is not only accepted, but encouraged and thus they've created a little language between the two of them that is complete nonsense. LOUD NONSENSE. And it makes me absolutely crazy.


But I will continue to pour my heart and soul into raising these boys because they are my most important job and I love them so. Even when I'm pulling out my hair, I can't imagine a day without the crazy.


I mean, K is currently cah-rack-ing up at absolutely nothing as he jumps around like a little monkey on the couch. And Abel is stuffing his face full of crackers and signing "more food" and "more milk" even though he has plenty right in front of him. They are characters, these two. They're molding me. I hope they're pushing me to be a better mother and better person. Next month, I'll add another little boy to the mix. I wonder if he'll have his brother's curly hair or his other brother's ability to hear. Will he be able to hear mama whisper to him while I'm tending to him at night? Will he look like Abe and me or will he take after his father and Kinley? I can't wait to know. 

5 comments:

Jenn said...

I am soooo excited for you all! Another little boy to join in the fun with his older brothers... Baby M is going to one lucky boy.

Jen said...

You are an awesome momma and your new addition is certainly lucky to join such a great family.

Shannon said...

We've noticed Alex has a lot of very "deaf" noises as well. He sounds like he's gargling water when he talks...so he can feel it. But again, that's a good sign for when the CIs come!

Anonymous said...

I feel like you deserve a medal. You are such a great mama and have seriously been taking everything thrown your way and making the best of it.

Angie said...

They are adorable boys! The noise in my house sounds like your house except two girls. I have learned to tune it out when I need the peace for a few minutes.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings