Thursday, August 25, 2011

Miss Spelling


Today, the girls are talking about that one word that we just can't seem to spell correctly. I used to be such a good little speller. I was so proud to bring home my spelling list and effortlessly let the letters roll off my tongue as I aced every single word. I was a spelling rock star, you could say.

When the spelling bee rolled around, I was confident. "I could TOTALLY win this thing", I thought to myself. I spelled a few words correctly and patiently waited in line to receive (i before e except after c!) my next word. As I stepped up to the microphone, the awaited word rang through my ears. It made me nervous because I just wasn't completely sure of myself and this particular spelling. Now before you ask, I can't recall what that word was. What I do recall is sputtering out unintelligible, wrong letters and being asked to leave the stage after hearing, "Good try, but..."

My ever-lovin', spelling machine heart was crushed. I did a side step back to the microphone and hopefully told the administrators what I had meant to say and spelled the word correctly. Unfortunately for me, they told me it was too late.

Despair.

I suppose this marked the end of my spelling career, thus making me disregard many spelling rules forever. I no longer cared if I could spell the longest word known to man, nor did I care about those silly little words like "a lot". Okay, I take it back. I do care about "a lot"...it's two words, not one, ya know.

Anyway, try as I might, I can't care about spelling anymore. It's just not in me. Most times I don't even use spell check before I hit publish on this blog. But sometimes, when I'm using the word judgment...I feel the need to double check.

Why, oh why is there not an "e" after the "g". In my heart of hearts, I am passionate about this. It doesn't make sense.

And that darn word trips me up every time.

What word do you have trouble with?

12 comments:

ACUs and ABCs said...

We are so much alike. This is your second post in a row where I could see myself writing almost your exact words! I, too, was a spelling rockstar and also had my little spelling machine heart crushed at the spelling bee! Anyway...the word that always screws me up is definitely. For some reason, I also want to write definately.

Beth said...

My trouble word (in real life and in spelling) is apologize. I always think it has two "p's" and it gets me every time! Argh!

Amy said...

There is this really old board/word game called Huggermugger that my boyfriend found at the thrift store. It is my favorite! You can pick from knowing definitions, word unscramble, and spelling bee...I always do best on the spelling bee questions! However, my spelling achilles heel is casserole. I am always putting an a where the e goes...good thing allrecipes.com knows what I'm talking about!

Mel said...

For me, it's convenience. I always have to say "con-veen-i-ence" in order to get it right in my head.

While I love spelling our beloved English language (rather, American-English) has some pretty funny rules. Silent letters? What's the point?

Mrs. K said...

A lot of people list definitely as their tricky word....a friend on fb said that, too. It's okay...all the cool kids are spelling it wrong! :) And I'm sorry to hear of your mishap at the spelling bee. I feel your pain.

Mrs. K said...

That's a tough one for me, too! I always want to put "vein" in the middle of that word, for some reason. Good luck with your new semester at law school. I hope the transition back to busy girl is easy for ya!

Mrs. K said...

cassarole. casserole. I don't know if I would have even noticed the difference! That game seems like fun. I find the coolest things at Goodwill and other thrift stores. I bought "Life" at a thrift store in Fairbanks last year--unopened. Score!

Mrs. K said...

Can't say that I've ever had trouble with that word, but it is one of those words (for me) if I stare at it long enough it sounds like the weirdest word ever. Do you ever do that?

Tryna Stegner said...

Separate. I have to stop and remember "a rat" in the middle.

Mrs. K said...

Oh yes...another good one. I used to have problems with that one, too.

Anne said...

hi! mine is here:

those are but commonly misspelled words indeed...

http://www.jaz4atot.com/2011/08/gt-most-misspelled-word.html

Beauty Queen Gene said...

judgement is also a correct way of spelling it. says wikipedia. yeah, i also had to check. LOL. thanks for joining GT! i'm usually late in doing my rounds, sorry :(

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings