Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Hiking the Cumberland Trail

The last few years, we've lived in very flat places: Louisiana, Florida. My biggest complaint was always how flat it was. I love the mountains. There's just something about climbing up to an overlook with fresh air in my lungs. I feel healthy. I feel alive. I feel nearer to my Creator. When we got the good news we were moving back to Tennessee, one of the million thoughts that floated through my head was- We'll get to go hiking in some elevation! What better way to spend our Labor Day weekend than getting our kids out and introducing them to the good ole hills of Tennessee.
We packed a picnic (and by packed I mean we stopped at Subway) lunch and headed over to the Cumberland Trail for a little hiketherapy. I just made that word up just now. I like it. Anyway, we ended up eating on Black Mountain. It was lovely; I had never been.
The trail was great for kids until the very top, of course. There were cracks in the rocks that had to be crossed and obviously a very tall ledge, but it was definitely manageable. I could even relax and have a little fun. Here's our attempt at a family photo:
We try.
All in all, it was a great day and it left us with an itch to get out in nature again soon.
That's exactly what we did two days later at Ozone Falls.
My sister and her husband joined us and thank God they did! J and I had forgotten how steep the "trail" is to get down to the falls. I forgot the wrap or hiking backpack for the babe so we carried him. It was a joint effort. Paige took him on the way down and I hauled him back up. Despite me nearly having a panic attack (afraid one of the kids might get hurt), we had a good time...until the car troubles. That's another blog post, though.

It's so great to be back!

8 comments:

Chantal said...

How fun! Did K walk the whole way? I can't even get Penny to walk around the block because she wants to be carried!

Fran said...

How fun! Looks beautiful :)

Megan said...

I much prefer mountains to beaches! No doubt it will be much prettier in the fall than Florida!

Jenn said...

I agree about the topography! Flat is so BORING. There are mountains all around us here and just anywhere you go, you can look left or right and see something gorgeous! So glad y'all are taking advantage and hiking!

Niken said...

lately, every time someone says 'hiking', i feel jealous.

Sarah said...

I love the way A is looking (glaring?) at K in your family picture! Where in TN do you live now? I was telling Christopher the other day that you just moved back to our area, then realized "our area" was probably not accurate at all. haha

Becca said...

Love the family pic and what a great date! And Subway is the best picnic lunch ever!!!

Kym said...

Beautiful pictures :)

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings