Thursday, June 26, 2014

Exciting News from Vanderbilt

I promised my facebook people that I would write tonight about all the good news we got with A's doctors. That was before I drove three hours home with a fussy toddler. Now, I'm yearning for a hot bath and my bed. Ever faithful, I'll tell you all the good news without rambling too much...

The first bit of surprising news is that his hearing aids are actually aiding him. That was unexpected with his level of deafness. He is severe to profound in both ears without the amplification, but with the hearing aids on he is hearing at the level of moderate to severe. This means that if we are yelling in his good ear, he probably hears it as a whisper and only parts of the word. For example, if we yelled "ice cream" in his good ear, he would hear "Iii eee". Obviously this is not enough for speech development, but it is getting him used to experiencing sound. I was amazed at the difference at his testing with his hearing aids on! The audiologist was, too.

Little man was sedated again for an MRI/CT scan. He did so well. What a trooper I have! After the sedation, we carted him around to all appointments with little in his tummy and no nap. I expected it to be absolutely awful (and it was at moments) but for the most part, he soldiered on. I was nervous about the MRI/CT for obvious reasons, but today calmed my fears-


Dad to the rescue during a particular fussy appointment


We met with the surgeon who will perform the implantation. He told us:

1. Baby A is a candidate for bilateral (meaning both ears/sides) cochlear implants.
2. He also believes it unnecessary to seek genetic testing for a cause. He told us that from the information he has from birth history, infancy, and the recent tests that there's no reason to suspect any other underlying problems. In other words, some people are just deaf and there's no other reason for it. That made my mama heart happy. In the back of my mind, I was worried about a syndrome or something that we just hadn't discovered yet so it set my mind at ease a little. In addition, I was worried about Baby M.
3. The surgeon also wants to do the surgery ASAP. We do not have a surgery date yet, but they are working with our insurance for approval. He said the earliest he could get us in is likely August, but definitely before Christmas. It will depend on how fast we can hear back from the insurance company.
4. Lastly, he told us it was up to us if we wanted to implant both at the same time. I always thought, "Why wouldn't anyone want to do it all at once?" I assumed it was an infection worry or longer times under anesthesia. I was way off base, there. The doc said that there was a 10% chance that he could lose his balance and never regain it if both ears are done at the same time (If only one is done and balance is lost, the other side compensates and often balance is restored). That number seemed so high to us. It scared us enough to ask to have the surgeries done separately. It's not completely ideal, but he will have his left ear (bad ear) done first and then the right ear will follow within six months. It makes me a nervous wreck to know that he'll be having surgery twice, but that's what we've decided is best for him. For those of you who do not know, he will get his implant but won't be activated until 3-4 weeks later.

It's going to be a long road for him. We're excited for him, though. The speech therapist and audiologist are confident that he will excel with the implants. We were in the appointment for speech analysis and I was amazed at his ability to repeat and mimic. He does attend to sound when he hears it with the hearing aids and he is doing so well with sign language, too.
Picking out his processor colors


I'm proud of my boy and am so incredibly grateful for all your prayers for him over the last five months. Please don't stop. God is working a miracle in this sweet kid and I'm happy to be his mama and witness it first hand.


12 comments:

Lisa C said...

It's great that y'all have been able to get a plan in place so quickly. Praying for a successful surgery!

Jamie said...

I am so glad you guys are getting more answers and moving forward. Thinking about you.

Jen said...

I am so happy! :) I am glad that he is a candidate for the implants, such wonderful news.

Kristin said...

I'm glad you're getting answers! And look at those curls!

erika said...

That sweet guy. We keep praying. The other night, Millie was misbehaving, and I sent her to bed and forgot to pray. She came out of the room with tears streaming down her face, and said, "But we have to pray so Baby A gets better!" She was absolutely distraught. So we prayed yet again. At least 3 times a day!

Rachel Ross said...

Yay that's such wonderful news! Praying all goes well!

Kate @ Daffodils said...

Praying for yall and that everything goes smoothly from here on out!

Lynn | Motherhood in Motion said...

So glad things went well. Amazing what God does for us. Praying for your family.

Rebecca Chapman said...

I just happened to stumble upon your blog and saw you said Vanderbilt. I'm a blogger living in Nashville! It's so great to "meet" another fellow Tennessean! I'm so glad you got some good news for your little guy!

Danielle said...

Praise God! Such great news!!

JG said...

So happy to hear a good report!

Bailey Kay said...

I'm so glad that the doctors visit went well!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings