Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas Cheer

I might have insomnia. I told myself I would step away from the computer now that my blog is all caught up on the last 4+ months of my life. I was going to wait awhile before I posted and try to get some sleep. I don't know what's wrong with me, but for the past week or more I haven't been able to drift off into dreamland at a decent hour. I think it is partly because I really don't do much throughout the day while Jordan is working. We are sharing a vehicle at the moment so I'm living the life of a shut-in right now. I miss going for walks outside, but it's just too darn cold for that.

Another reason I might be having trouble sleeping is it's almost Christmas! This year, that means that it will be the first time I've been able to see my family in five months. I'm elated! I cannot describe how much I miss them. Sometimes at night I lie awake thinking about everyone and it brings me to tears. Some tears are happy because I am grateful for them in my life, but some are sad, as well, when my thoughts drift to my niece and nephews. Will they even remember me when I get home? Being away at college and now in Alaska forces me to miss out on so many milestones in their lives.

Christmas is so exciting because I'll be able to be with family AND my soldier is home for the holidays this year. Thinking back to a year ago, I am reminded just how much I have to be thankful for. Last year, J spent Christmas in Iraq. I missed him so much and would make myself miserable thinking of all the families who had loved ones absent from them Christmas morning.

As soon as Thanksgiving was over, I was ready to start filling our first home together with Christmas cheer! J and I drove to North Pole, Alaska to the Santa Claus House to buy ornaments for the tree. We chose several favorites that were somewhat characteristic of Alaska so that we would always remember where we got them when we went to decorate our tree in years to come. I'm glad we found some that have a special meaning to us. I plan on keeping him around awhile!

With Johnny Cash Christmas songs on repeat on the ipod, we merrily decorated the tree and living room area. We've wrapped presents together (I never thought I'd find anyone worse at wrapping than me!), attempted baking cookies, and settled on the couch for a few of our favorite holiday movies. These little moments I will cherish forever.

That's one positive aspect of many military relationships... It's nearly impossible to take J for granted because I'll never know when he will be told he's deploying again. I want to be sure next time he is gone for an extended period of time that we made the very best of our time together. I think the world of that man!

3 comments:

Laura Weigle said...

Kacy , I absolutely love this blog!!! You are so creative you make me feel like I'm there experiencing all the trials, emotions, and fun. I'm so glad you love my son so very much!!!

kacysue said...

Thank you. I'm glad someone is actually reading it! I was surprised how many views I had when I woke up this morning. I know how bad Jordan is with keeping in touch with people so I thought this would be a nice way of letting everyone back home know how we're doing. I miss you guys so much and I can't wait to see you! Less than a week now!

My Only Flaw « Mrs. K and Captain J said...

[...] that I’ll be able to actually decorate for Christmas this year instead of only breaking out the charlie brown tree of last year. When I was in college, my condo had three large trees and two small ones so to say that I miss [...]

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings