Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I'd recommend it to a friend.


(I suppose it's time to wrap up the story of our travels to New England. This is the final installment, but if you need to catch up, click here and then here.)

My days in Vermont were spent largely without my husband as he was busy attending meetings. I lived it up, though. My youngest and I went hiking a lot and he fell asleep wrapped up against Mama at every chance he got. I was so happy to breathe in the fresh mountain air, gaze down at my baby, and remember all that is good in this world.
I visited the state house...
On sunny days, people gathered in the grassy area relaxing in the rare sunlight. Folks from all walks of life could be found there- some taking their first steps, others sprawled out from a long morning at work. It reminded me of a common area that could be found on any college campus. I got the feeling there was plenty to do, but everyone was focused on not doing it. Instead, brief moments to pause and appreciate the day were had out in front of the state's capital.
At night, when J was relieved of his requirements at Norwich, we searched for activities to fill our time. One of my favorite evenings, we came across a vineyard in the Vermont countryside. We enjoyed some wine tasting and the first peeks at sunlight we had seen for the whole trip!
We also enjoyed evening dinners when Baby A let us eat in peace.
There were several good restaurant options in the city. Many of them focused on locally grown, organic produce. We didn't really have a bad meal the whole time we were there. Expensive meals, on the other hand, is another story!
The little, tiny towns that are dispersed throughout VT are precious.
But perhaps my favorite place we visited was Stowe. Captain J got the day off after graduation and the sun was shining. We set off to explore and it turned out to be my favorite day of the entire visit. We definitely did the tourist thing. On our way to Stowe, we stopped in Waterbury for the Ben & Jerry's ice cream factory. We got to see the graveyard where all the old flavors go to die. Of course, we enjoyed some ice cream outside, too.
 Then we got in the car again to visit the Von Trapp Family Lodge.
It was lovely. In case you aren't familiar, this is the location where the family depicted in The Sound of Music lived after leaving Austria . There's a lot more history involved with this family that is quite interesting, too. Anyway, we walked around the grounds, enjoying the amazing views.
Then we enjoyed a glass of wine celebrating this graduate:
I had such a great time. The graduation ceremony went smoothly. The baby was an angel for hours. It was ideal! I'm so proud of my husband and all of his accomplishments. Congrats, babe!


Have you been to Vermont? I'd totally recommend it to a friend!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice trip! I went to Vermont once but it was in winter time. My whole family rented a 10 bedroom cabin.. it was a lot of fun!

Chantal said...

I've been to Vermont once, briefly, when I got my citizenship! I don't remember anything lol

Jenn said...

It looks like such a gorgeous place! And holy cow, I did not know The Sound Of Music was filmed there. LOL I knew part of it was done in Austria. I guess I just assumed the rest was done in... Europe? lol

Jen said...

Wow what an amazing place!

Angie said...

Vermont looks like a gorgeous place. Glad you had a nice time.
Big Congrats to your Hubby :)

Sarah said...

We went to the Trapp Family Lodge for our honeymoon! It was so gorgeous I didn't want to leave! Did you eat at the restaurant there?

Fran said...

Looks like a gorgeous place! Hope we get to visit some time :)

Jenn said...

sounds like a great trip! congrats J!!!

Anonymous said...

I've never been but after reading about your visit I want to check it out someday

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings