Monday, June 17, 2013

That time we went to Vermont

Leaving Florida

The day we left for Vermont was full of tears and much anxiety. I hated driving away from my eldest and I dreaded stepping foot on a plane with my youngest. Nobody likes a baby on a plane- nobody. Oh, that's right! I forgot to mention that when we made it to Tennessee via car we thought there is no way not ever are we driving eighteen more hours in a car with a baby. No way. No how
Leaving Tennessee for the airport

Anyway, we purchased a flight and didn't look back. Even when Baby A was screaming at the top of his lungs for the first twenty minutes of flight number one- We were still glad we were flying. He calmed down and slept through the rest of the flight, through the rush to get to the next gate, and all through the next flight as well. I experienced the eye rolls and rude remarks from strangers and didn't bat an eye because there were the nice ones, too. Those people who stopped to say nice things about the screaming baby on the plane. The people who offered smiles instead of glares. I also witnessed Karma at its finest, too. Our tickets weren't beside each other for any of the flights so we had to ask the people beside us if they cared to move. One lady told us she actually did care. We ended up moving entirely, bags and all. A couple minutes later, a voice came over the PA system announcing that a flight had been cancelled that might affect some of the people on the plane. Sure enough, the woman who refused to move started pitching a fit because she wanted off the plane we were on due to her connecting flight being cancelled! I'm not gonna say I was happy but I did appreciate the moment. In retrospect, I should have stayed beside her and awkwardly taken out my boob to feed our son. I wonder if that would have been a better scenario for her. Or maybe, when he started crying, I could have passed him over her lap to hand him off to my dear husband for help and then repeat that cycle a couple of times. Perhaps I could have jiggled Baby A on my lap, vibrating her seat while his screams vibrated her ear drums. I just don't understand why she thought that would be better. In the south we say, "Bless her heart" to that.
We flew into Burlington, Vermont in the early evening on Monday. We had to drive straight to Norwich so Captain J could check in for registration. Despite the light rain, there was a relaxing quality to the drive. Greenery surrounded us and roads wound through quaint little towns that one could hold their breath through. It felt so good to be there, boots on the ground.

(To be continued)

6 comments:

Red Strings said...

I love these improved baby diapers. The old version had only one problem - the unadjustable waist. Now they have fixed it and they feel very similar to the more expensive ones! Perfect for my baby, never a leak.
honest company

Louise Burnette Barnes said...

you have left me breathless for the next instalment!!! and Karma it was!!!

Jessica @ Better Together and Forever said...

Wow, people can just so mean! Seriously, you would rather risk sitting next to an adorable 6 month old who may or may not cry the whole way because you just want to keep your seat. DUMB! Glad to hear you got to Vermont. I loved following you through your travels on Instagram. :)

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! "Bless her heart." I love Southerners! Yay for karma!

Karen said...

I always hate rude people on airplanes. I am always willing to give up my seat for a family to be able to sit together. Can't wait to read the next installment of your travels!!

Chantal said...

What's with people on planes? There's some crazies out there.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings