Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Youth is Wasted on the Young

Do you feel young? Me? I guess it depends on the day. Put me with my running partner and I feel really young. I know I can keep up with her. She's barely legal to drink, runs marathons, and is in a very different stage of life. She bounces around as we jog like it's no sweat to her to run across our entire state. She doesn't tug at her running gear or clothes, hoping everything is in the right place. She just shows up to feel her body do something it's meant to do (be active) and isn't worried about losing weight. She nonchalantly chats with me as I try intensely to focus on my breathing. Still, I leave with a proud feeling, knowing that I just ran with someone that was still in high school after I had long graduated from college.
As soon as I am home, though and the chasing of babies commences, I am catapulted into a world where twenty seven feels old. My back aches. I try to practice yoga with my oldest son and I find it incredibly difficult. Meanwhile, K is soaking it all in and trying what I try. He'll be better at it than I am in no time. My wrists give me a hard time and I find myself wondering what it must be like to have the flexible, durable limbs and joints of my almost two year old. Then I wonder how different it will all be in just five short years. 
As I get older, I'm becoming more and more appreciative of the body I do have. I think it's important to recognize my own strengths and play off of them. You're never too old to start being more active and intentional in life. Who says you're too old for a handstand on the beach? Who cares what anyone might think? I'm going to enjoy the youth I have left in me (By the way, I think we all have some youth left in us)!
Never stop changing, never stop growing.

6 comments:

Jen said...

That picture is amazing...you are young even if you may not feel it some days. :)

Kristin said...

I totally agree with this. We don't appreciate our youth...we spend our time whining about things we want to change. I'm 27 too. I don't understand how I got to be this old.

Chantal said...

Youth is wasted on the young! Chasing a toddler around all day kills my back too, and I am wiped out by 9pm. I do feel good when I'm running and exercising though. I like to feel strong.

Semper Ag said...

I just turned 29. This is really the first time I've really had to watch what I eat to not blow up like a balloon, and things hurt that I didn't know could hurt! lol.
I found your blog on Wednesday walkabout! Consider me your newest follower!

Fran said...

That picture is so awesome - and great post! I feel like I needed to read this haha

Jenn said...

I love this attitude! I think as we get older we appreciate the endless energy and unweathered bodies of our past. I think if you don't use it you lose it so getting back into shape is a big priority for me once the baby is born. This mass effort it takes for me to get out of bed or off the couch is for the birds! I want to be able to do so wihtout feeling like I did some crazy gymnastics move.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings