Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Foot Down. Kind Of.


The first thing you should know is never start a home DIY project with your type A Army Officer husband. He will make you ill. He will make you want to pull all your hair out. I don't know why I decided that this was the project I needed to put my foot down on, but it was. The annoying thing about being a follower is that there are times when you're done with doing things someone else's way and people look at you all crazy-like when you stand up and start asserting YOUR WAY. It all started Saturday with an easy albeit tedious job of ripping down old wallpaper. He got to the bottom layer which wasn't coming off all that great and it was covered in POODLES. I'll let that image sink in for a moment... And he just decides well, this isn't going to work. It can't be done. We were going to paint and he starts telling me that we would have to buy all new sheet rock and yada yada yada. I was like, oh...bummer. Off to Lowe's he goes and when he returns he has wood plank thingys in his hands. He wants to cover my delightful blue boys' bathroom in paneling!? I wasn't picturing it. I couldn't wrap my head around where the wood and tile would meet. I was thinking it was going to stick off the wall so much that it would look ridiculous and I didn't think he was thinking ahead. Plus, hello? THIS was turning into a fiasco. We've gotta go buy a table saw now. The expenses (right before Christmas) were piling up.
I went to bed that night thinking 'ehh, he can do whatever he wants', but when I woke up the next morning my feelings started to shift. I got up early with the baby, as I always do, while my dear husband rested his darling little head on his pillow until 11am. I can't tell you how much it made me mad. First of all, he promised we would go to church because he knew I really really wanted to continue our search in finding a church home here. Well, he didn't get up and in hindsight I should have just gone without him because I sat around for much of the morning trying to clean the kitchen but mostly just stewing about how nice it must be to be a man and get to sleep in whenever you dang well please. AHEM. Anyway, I used this time wisely, of course. I accessed Mr. Google and searched for what to do if you had a wallpaper issue such as ours where the wall hadn't been primed beforehand. All these solutions popped up and so I went to the bathroom and started trying to rip it down and what do you know? It was coming off. Slowly but surely. Then I realized- aha! It's not that it can't be done. It's that he doesn't want to do it. I felt lied to. That made me mad since I was up and at em and he was still in bed so I just decided I was doing it myself. I went to Lowes and got some supplies I would need and came home to get back to work. J was up shortly after, annoyed with me that I was overriding his idea.
"I don't care", I told him. "I'm not asking anything from you. I'll do it myself." Flashbacks of my college career floated through my mind. I used to despise group projects because I rarely trusted anyone to delegate and accomplish the task at hand so I eagerly would volunteer for most of the work. I thought for just a second that maybe I was being unreasonable, but nah...
I went out for a run to clear my head. Finally, he was awake so I was handing all kid responsibilities over. Running helps to lift my mental fogs. When I came back, I was like just do it. Do whatever you want. I don't care one way or the other. I know my husband. He's a control freak, yes but he's also good at being in control. He successfully managed an entire volatile area of Iraq for a year- he is capable of good decisions. I had warned him about rushing to failure and I knew he had thought a lot about this project so if that's what he wanted to do then well go for it. I was tired. I'd been up since 6am.
So, we're going for it. His way, of course. I don't mind. It might actually look good after we paint. I would never tell him that, though. Ha! I see it now- the crazy, pregnancy hormones. They're surging through me. I was being crazy. I was mad. I was sad. I was indifferent. Then, I was those things all over again. I fear it might be a long nine months for my dear husband, but -ya know- he asked for it!

Do you and your spouse have similar or opposite leadership styles?

9 comments:

Jen said...

I have learned that if Kyle is really set on something to just give in. Easier in the long run and less headache for me haha. For the most part we are on the same page but we have had our issues in our 6 loving years of marriage. ;)

Kathryn B said...

Oh yes! My husband is also a control freak and a lot of the time he can reason with me and I will agree to his way, because for the most part it makes sense. Usually he can picture the finished product when I can't. So I do trust his judgement.
I feel the same way though. I get mad when every weekend I wake up with the kids and he gets to sleep in, then gets snippy with me when I refuse to just sit around and watch TV when work needs to get done around the house. We have had quite a few of those mornings. :)

Lisa C said...

I agree with your idea to do it yourself. Thankfully, Mac realizes that I know more about certain areas than he does and is willing to relinquish control.

Angie said...

Eric and I butt heads so often when it comes to stuff like that. We are both control freaks. How we have made it this far in our marriage I do not know, but we have definitely had some disagreements.

Karen said...

I'm the one that is the control freak in my marriage. I can't even handle the way Paul does dishes lol. And as far as the sleeping in - I'm lucky Paul will usually get up with the girls on the weekends so I can sleep in, but my issue is in the middle of the night when both girls are screaming and he "doesn't hear" them... sometimes I wonder if it's just an act so he doesn't have to get out of bed lol.

Fran said...

I'm totally the control freak in the relationship. Lance is all laid back and "meh, we'll figure it out" and I'm like "NO. We need to do this now and this is how it's going to be done" lol

AlanaMarie said...

Not answering your question, but my grandma has what looks like sunny side up eggs on the wallpaper in her bathroom. I think they are supposed to be flowers, retro orange and brown flowers, from the 70s.

Chantal said...

My husband and I are totally opposite! I kinda like the poodles ;) (not really, I'd tear that down!)

Jenn said...

For us it is difficult. Hubby the Type A officer. Me the Type A New Yorker. When we disagree lets just say it's not pretty. I have learned that if it is something I don't care about to let it go and let him do it his way. If its something I really want done my way then I will fight tooth and nail for it even if it means I go it alone. I think by picking my battles he is slowly learning that when I put up a fight about it he backs down. More so lately I have the problem asking for a small piece of advice on how to do something and him taking over or worse yet criticizing the result. It drives me nuts.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings