Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Day That Made Him A Veteran

"In war, there are no unwounded soldiers." - Jose Narosky

The day that made him a veteran in my eyes is probably different than the one in his own mind, but I love thinking back to that day. It was one of the happiest of my life. I entered the large holding room, my heart beating faster than I thought possible. How would this play out? Am I really going to see him? Lock eyes with him and touch the patches of his ACUs? Is this truly the end of a twelve month stint in the Middle East? It was surreal.
As I walked toward the gathered crowd, I could feel the emotions of everyone surrounding me. How incredible to see a mother and her newborn waiting eagerly for daddy's arrival. I also witnessed large families all dressed in matching "welcome home" t-shirts, dogs, and mothers waiting to kiss the cheeks of their sons. The anticipation was palpable. I've felt nothing else like it since.
Finally the bus arrived, the formation dispersed, and I jumped into the hug I had been dreaming of for months. My soldier was officially a veteran. He was home.

Happy Veteran's Day to all who have that role heavy on their shoulders. Your service is greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Veterans Day to your husband!

Anonymous said...

That picture is beautiful! Happy Veterans Day to your husband!

Fran said...

Beautiful - Happy [late] veterans day to your husband!

Andrea @ Love is... said...

So beautiful! Thank you to you, your husband & your family for all of your sacrifices!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings