Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Savannah On My Mind

As you may have heard, J and I had a great time visiting Savannah, Georgia last weekend. We didn't want to leave. One weekend just wasn't enough time to do all that we wanted to do! He didn't get off work till rather late on Friday so we had a four hour drive ahead of us in the dark. It's unfortunate that we missed all of Friday there, but we were glad to check in around 11:30 pm.



Our bed and breakfast, the Eliza Thompson House, was perfect! It was a beautiful old building with very gracious employees and gorgeous atmosphere. It wasn't without perks either! There were designated wine/cheese times, a dessert hour, and complimentary sherry available 24 hours a day. Most of which this pregnant gal didn't partake in, but I still enjoyed sitting in this old room, chatting with my man-



Honestly, we collapsed into bed when we arrived, too tired to explore the city at all. In the morning when we awoke, it was a beautiful, sunny day. The shaded parts of the city were windy and sort of chilly (sorry Alaskans. I became one of them!) but for the most part we were able to enjoy the sun on our faces. After a good breakfast at the inn, we headed toward the trolley station to purchase informative tours.



The trolley ride was interesting because of all the deep rooted history tied to Savannah. I would definitely recommend informative trolley, horse carriage, or walking tours during your stay in this city. It's much better to know what you're staring at, right!? It's something we will probably do each time we visit Savannah because there's so much more to learn that the guide could teach us in a 90 minute tour.



The above is Mercer House. I was disappointed that we didn't have time to tour this old home because I had been learning so much about the happenings inside from the book I'm reading, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. We will definitely go tour this one next time.


By the close of the tour, Baby and I were starving! We walked over to Paula Deen's restaurant to see what it was all about, but we, of course, didn't get in. This was true for both days we were there. You wouldn't believe the line that the place attracts! We just wanted to say that we had been there, done that, so we weren't too disappointed that we couldn't get in. I mean, I like Paula Deen, but we're in the south, baby! My grandmother can make fried chicken just as tasty, I'm sure! ;) I took a photo in front of the joint for good measure.



We found ourselves eating at the Six Pence Pub for lunch, which was very good. Reminiscent of European pubs, the atmosphere was fun and talkative. We both had sandwhiches and talked about what we would do the rest of the day, as I tried to focus on our conversation. I was in full alert mode because I'm pretty sure we had been dining near Derek Dooley (Go Vols)! Anyway, there's some Hollywood connections at the famous bar (aside from ole Dooley) that make the place definitely worth a peek inside.



We walked down by the water after lunch to watch the boats sail in and soak up the talent of the local artists in the area. After seeing the pretty blue water, we decided that it was the beach we were actually craving. We found the car and drove to nearby Tybee Island for a midday nap in the sand. It was a nice day for it. We strolled around, holding hands, and talking excitedly about how likely it was that the next time we were at a beach that we'd have a little one in tow. It's pretty crazy to think about!






After that, we went back to the hotel to get ready for our Valentine's celebration dinner. How appropriate that we went to the Olde Pink House.



Picture courtesy of Daniel Mayer

 I can't believe we got in! I called a week in advance, but our butler told us that it's usually booked months in advance. I understood why when we arrived. Inside the house is gorgeous! The service was exellent, too. Our waitress saw that I was in a delicate condition and offered to trick me with a fruit drink of punch instead of an alcoholic beverage. It was yummy! The food was good and it wasn't one of those places that try to rush you out. The appetizer came well before the meal and dessert wasn't rushed afterwards. We spent a couple of hours there and enjoyed every second of it. A lovely black lady meandered through the tables in her huge hoop skirt and sang in a soulful voice, Georgia on My Mind.


Here are a few photos of us getting ready to eat that night:




Ok, so maybe it was just me getting ready!


We had many other adventures during our stay, too. We toured churches, homes, and gardens. We listened as people regaled us with tales of ghosts! We looked up at the huge trees with their spanish moss draping down and silently begged to not have to go home just yet.



Until next time, Savannah!


Love,

4 comments:

sespi said...

I love your pictures!! It makes me want to go back to Savannah... I'm going to convince the husband one of these days :)

Sheena said...

Oh that looks so relaxing. Phil and I have been planning on going there for some time now but can't ever seem to actually do it. I do have a birthday coming up... hum I wonder.

Tiffany said...

kacy... your outfits are AMAZING! oh and the pictures are good to :) looks like you had a blast! :)

good is great. « Mrs. K and Captain J said...

[...] want to wish my life away. We’ve had good times here. We found out we were expecting here, Savannah was spectacular, spring came early for us ex-Alaskans, and we’ve made some fun pals here that [...]

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings