Monday, October 24, 2011

Mama Must Haves

I was texting/chatting with this blogger this morning (3:38am to be exact), venting to her about what had just occurred in the wee hours of my day. Baby K woke up for his middle of the night feeding. I changed his diaper, fed him, and placed him back down for the rest of the night (Imagine me with crossed fingers, daring to breathe as I tip toe away from him in hopes that he'll fall right back to sleep). No such luck. He squirms, he grunts, and I pick him up again so that Daddy can sleep peacefully. As I'm walking back to the glider with baby in hand, puke erupts from his precious little mouth- all over his clothes. It then runs down my arm, my leg, and splatters on the floor. We're soaked. Time for a change. I put him in another fresh nightgown and just as I picked him up off the changing table...SPIT UP! Repeat this process. Then, in his next change of clothes, I pick him up again and feel pee running down my leg. Nooooooooo! I almost lost it. I might have said a cuss word if it hadn't been such an ungodly hour. Instead, I changed him yet again and told him (only half jokingly) that he couldn't do that again because (bless his heart) he'd have to sleep in it. Finally, I lay him back down and wonder what in the world just happened. There's puke in my hair and someone else's pee on my leg- not the best way to start a morning. It is for this reason that I decided to write this post today. Maybe someone out there will benefit from it. Designed to make your life easier (if you happen to be a new mom or a soon-to-be), here are my favorite things that I had no idea I would need!

1. The Fisher-Price Rock-N-Play. I can't put a price tag on this...seriously! I didn't know I would need this, but I really, really did. Baby K sleeps in this at night, takes naps in it during the day, watches his mobile while resting in it, and I truly think it's his safe place (aside from Mommy and Daddy's arms, of course). He loves it, therefore I love it.

2. Who knew something so cheap could bring with it so many hours of sleep for a new mommy? Infants like to be swaddled, ya know. If your little one is like Baby K, he or she probably outgrew those tiny little blankets the hospital wraps them in from birth. It wasn't long before K's feet were popping out of the bottom. Enter Summer Infant Wrap. It has been glorious. He's snug as a bug in a rug in these and it's our secret tool for bedtime.

3. The third life saver are these pacis. I don't know what kind they are...just what they look like (sorry!) But they're the only ones he can seem to keep in his mouth. I was one of those people who wasn't going to introduce a paci for a month or so. Insane. Breastfed babies often use mommy as a pacifier and I don't have to explain to you how uncomfortable and exhausting that can be. Give them a paci, people!



Now, the rest of this info is for moms choosing to cloth diaper. When I started out doing this, I had no idea what I was doing. With the help of friends and other bloggers, I finally started finding my way in the waves of terminology and techniques that are available. While I don't want to attempt to expalain all that I've learned in regard to modern day reusables yet, I will let you in on my little secret. Drifter and Holly (my puppies, remember them?) gave me the idea actually...

4. I use this as my "dry pail". It has a smell proof seal so the nursery stays smelling like a sweet newborn, not a smelly, poopy 2.5 month old ;) The dogs have one to keep their food in, too. I got tired of my laundry room smelling like a dog so I bought this food container. Then the lightbulb came on- 'I'll use this for Baby K's diapers!' Brilliant, I know.

Speaking of fluff, I still haven't found the perfect diaper for us. I do enjoy cloth diapering, but I have yet to find my favorite go-to brand and style. What are your favorites?

Moms (Dads) and Nannies, what are your favorite products that help make your little one happy? Do share!

Love,

Mrs. K

(*No one paid me to endorse their product. I just loooovvvveee these items!)

14 comments:

Jamie@ HandlingWithGrace said...

If I wrote this article it would be almost identical to yours. Except #1 would be a swing instead of the rocker (I own that one too though). I also thought that I wouldn't give my daughter a pacifier. Thank God my Mom is smarter than me and taught her to love it.

k said...

I received the Newborn Rock and Play as a gift and it has been amazing! I literally have used that thing everywhere, BBQs at friends', in the bathroom while I shower, at night next to the bed, etc. It is awesome! Other things I couldn't live without are a carrier (we like the beco), aden & anais swaddles (I like them because they're breathable), and of course our diapers. We use gDiapers and love them! What kinds have you tried? I'm always curious what works for others. I would love to try other kinds - thirsties look great - but g's work so well I can't justify spending the money!

Mrs. K said...

My mom and my sister thought I was bananas too. I'm glad they were able to make me see the error of my ways! ;)

Mrs. K said...

ooo the Beco?! so it is worth the money? I've been wanting to get one. I also thought about trying gDiapers. Right now we've used BumGenius, Fuzzibunz, KuwaiiBaby(or something like that!), and Thirsties. Thirsties are my favorite thus far b/c they're smaller and fit him better so less leaks. I need to get some covers for them, though.

amber said...

I got that sleeper as a gift! I'm glad too! I had my eye on it for a while and then wanted it even more after asking you about it! I was fully prepared to order it for myself! ha!
Neither of my kids took binkies, but I've already got some for Baby O just in case. I just have a feeling he's going to be different/more difficult than my bittles are.
Honestly, I'm blanking on the NEEDS of a mom. I feel like I'm starting all over again.
Mine are 4 & 3 now and it wasn't even that long ago that they were infants, but I really am blanking on all things newborn!
Boppy!!
And Links! Those little toy link things! They clip everything to everything!!!!

Katy said...

I just got some of those food containers for my animals! They are glorious. Can't say anything about babies though =)

rayna said...

Beco is great. I sold mine because I liked my ergo better though. Either one is totally worth the money. Goodmamas and fuzzibunz worked the best for us. Not crazy about g diapers. Everybody likes different brands though.

Karen T said...

We use Bummis prefolds with bummis and thirsties covers. So far we like them :) But I must admit - we are using a diaper service so I'm not washing them myself lol. And the one thing I couldn't live without - my Boba carrier - Nora LOVES it and pretty much falls asleep instantly in it.

Mrs. K said...

I've heard it a whole new ball game each time a new kid comes along. They come up with all sorts of new gadgets we must have :) I can't wait till Baby O makes his arrival :)

Mrs. K said...

I haven't checked out Goodmamas yet. Maybe I'll order those next. I'm slightly addicted! ha

Mrs. K said...

They do work wonders!

Mrs. K said...

a diaper service?! How wonderful that would be. And I've never heard of a Boba carrier. I'm going to look that up because I'm in the market for another carrier. He likes the one we have now, but it doesn't have a good tie for the vertical position. Plus I'd like one that he can nurse in.

Kendra said...

I had such a good laugh from that chat the other night! It just let me know that Im not alone, because things like that happen to us too!
We love the bumgenius and Fuzzibuns pocket diapers, one size.

Kari Presley said...

Oh my gosh Kacy, I have literally had the exact same night so many times I can't even count them! And all of the things that you posted are indescriable- I don't know what we would do without them. The Rock N Play is the best invention ever! Forget the bassinet- just go for this. Swaddle Me blankets are a lifesaver! And I'm almost certain Jackson has the exact same paci! I have no idea what brand they are, but it looks exactly like that and it's the only one he will take. The others are just too big for him I think. When I misplace it, we both have total meltdowns.

Let me know if you find anything else that is a "must have" because I'm sure it will work for us too!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings