Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Halloween Hustle

Tom Sawyer, Curious George, and (Where's) Waldo hopped in the car this morning at 7am and sped off into the day. At least that's who we were trying to look like. Perhaps my costume this year was a fail. Anyway, we pull into the parking lot where the Halloween Hustle 5K was taking place in our little Louisiana town. It was quite chilly for us so we didn't get out of the car immediately. While we're hanging out in the car, we begin to realize we're the only people dressed up. Like THE ONLY PEOPLE. The registration form clearly stated to be creative and wear your costumes!


We can't be the only creative people who like to run in Deridder, can we?


Captain J begins to flip. He's all, "I can't believe you talked me into this", "What was I thinking?" , "The things I do for love!" And I'm all, "Oh well, we're festive, dear. It's okay!" I crawl in the backseat to begin feeding my little monkey. Meanwhile, J is saying how he is not getting out of the car to get our tshirts and race numbers. Then he tells me, "Hey, can you unlatch him and buckle him back in? I'm going home to change."


Bah (Halloween) humbug!


We sped home because the race was starting in 9 minutes. 9 minutes!


Captain J runs inside and comes back out donning a Kurdish football uniform and I smile inside knowing that he does, in fact, love me. He dressed up! Hip hip hooray! I guess Tom Sawyer was a little much for him. Anywho...


we make it back to the starting line just in time and I get in the very back because I'm pushing a stroller and I just know I'm going to be slow as Christmas. The facilitators of the race are snapping photos left and right and some guy with a wig on shouts, "Why am I the only one dressed up?!"


Umm.



Yeah, I look like this every day.


Long story short,my army man and I looked like a bunch of weirdos running the streets of Deridder this morning. Good thing Baby K is still small, otherwise I fear he'd be quite ashamed. But all hope for the day was not lost. Ya see...this Mama (all worried about her out-of-shape self, disgusted by the 6-7ish extra pounds still lingering from the pregnancy) came in 2nd place of the 20-29 year old female division. Totally wasn't expecting that! There weren't many people in that group, I'll admit, but as my dear friend Laura Faye said, "A win is a win!"



Baby K says, "Give me that medal, Mom!"

And I least I wasn't dead last. Honestly, I thought I would be.


Have a super, fantastic, spooky Halloween y'all. I'll be giving out candy with Baby K Curious George.



P.S.- Monday is the last day to enter my giveaway!

7 comments:

Jamie@HandlingWithGrace said...

How fun. You guys look great. Congrats!

Laura Faye said...

You should have seen the big smile that just lit up on my face when I saw my quote on your blog! Ha I love you!

amber said...

He is just cute as can be.
And oh my gosh, that guy with the wig is crazy! You totally look dressed up and not just normal.
Love the costume!

Sarah said...

i love the costume! for a mini second I thought you were the guy from the hangover?? I think it was the way you were holding him- lol!

Em said...

This made me laugh so hard! Your Waldo costume was great and Baby K is a precious monkey! I just really love that the guy in the wig failed to notice you were wearing a costume. Maybe you've been trying too hard to put yourself together. Lol

Karen T said...

I love Baby K's monkey costume - it's adorable!! And I like your Waldo costume too - it's very obviously a costume - I think the wig guy just felt weird wearing a wig lol. Happy Halloween to you and your fam!

Alyson Hale said...

I had to laugh at the dead last comment. I thought no that's only when she does a 10K with me lol. You make me want to start running again though. Good job!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings