Monday, August 16, 2010

Farewell, Friend

One sure-fire way to know you're getting old is when you get excited about new cleaning products. Before I go into that nonsense, I'll tell you about one thing that truly sucks about the military--the goodbyes.

Of course you've heard me talk read my posts about this before, but this time I'm saying audios to the first friend I made up here in Alaska. She's the girl who didn't know me from Adam Eve yet she invited me into her home to stay with her before I found a place for the Cap'n and me to live. She's also the girl that rolled up her sleeves and went to work on helping me build that fence. Basically, she's been right here with me during the day when J is at work- keeping me busy company. She's leaving tomorrow, but I don't think it has really sunk in yet.  This is likely because I think I'll be seeing her again at another duty station before too long. We'll see. That doesn't make it suck any less, though. Pardon my lack of a better term.

In short, goodbyes aren't fun, but not everything about them are terrible. Does that make me a bad person? Let me explain...

Alaska is considered OCONUS, an overseas duty station. Just knowing that, you can imagine it costs an arm and leg to get moved back down to the lower 48. Thankfully, the army pays for a lot of that if you do choose to move yourself (DITY move). Well, in the interest of saving space, Nicole decided to give me all this cool stuff:

A Chai Latte Maker! Yum



A Cabinet to organize my craft room



and Cleaning supplies!



Who knew a young woman such as myself could get so pumped about household cleaning products? I did, though. I've already sampled most of that bucket and I haven't had it any longer than a few hours.

Military folks tend to have moving sales or just give away a lot of their accumulated "stuff" as they PCS. Captain J and I got an extra bedroom set that way a few months ago! Looks like we racked up again...Thanks, Nicole!

Anyway, I've got lots to tell ya but I'll have to share with you on a later date. I'm tired and off to bed. Bonsoi!

7 comments:

Laura Weigle said...

Gosh Kacy you really will miss her, she truly has been a great friend to you. The hope of meeting up again is encouraging though. Tell her she is welcome in Paint Rock anytime!

Annoyed Army Wife said...

I would be stoked about the cleaning stuff, too. I hate having to leave that stuff behind, but that's nice you could benefit from it. And I'm sorry your friend is leaving. :(

Nicki McMasters said...

I know how you feel, dear. A family that we had grown close with just moved as well, to Alaska! Now, we have 2 reasons to come visit! That's the good thing about having to say goodbye to your military friends. You realize that you have friends all over the world.

lola said...

I get pumped about cleaning supplies and whatnot too. I've slowly been replacing the super chemical cleaning supplies with Method, in hopes to be a little bit less harmful [God, I sound like a hippie] to the earth. In the meantime though, I'm still using the old ones until they run out. I may care about the earth, but I'm also practical!

Jessica @ {Mis}Adventures of an Army Wife said...

I love cleaning products! I love them even more when they're free! I'm sorry your friend is PCSing. The great thing about this lifestyle, though, is that we all get to see each other again at some point!

Jenn said...

It's exciting that she is moving hopefully some place nice, But sad that she has to go. Knowing though that even in a short time frame you can get so close to people that you will call friends for a lifetime is an amazing part of army life.

carissa said...

Aww I'm sorry you have to say good bye to a friend! I'm sure she's not happy about it either... And it's even more fun (sometimes) to have friends around the country! Still Sad face for you!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings