Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Upset

So, maybe I have pet meds listed all over my calendar. Maybe I just bought a baby gate to keep out unwanted pets from the carpeted areas of my home. So what if I have three beautiful Alaskan Huskies nestled around me as I type? Don't judge me. I swear I'm not a pet hoarder.

Solstice wandered back into our lives last night. I heard Holly and Drifter barking like crazy so I knew something was up. I peered out the window and what did I see? Solstice's lovely face emerging from the wooded area behind our house. She came back! I was so excited to see that she was okay. Of course, catching her was a feat but I finally did and I'm happy to report that she is back and with her belly full.

As much as I worried about her whereabouts and pretended not to worry, I still didn't only feel relief when I saw her. I also felt a bit of panic- "Oh. no...what are we going to do with three dogs?" Two get along like peas and carrots, but the other is a skiddish outsider that doesn't even let me get close to her. Honestly, I don't know what to do with her. I know she's sweet and that she is just very scared, but how do I care for a dog that won't allow me to pet her, to leash her, or to even feed her? It makes me sad. It also makes me incredibly mad at whoever made her this way. I detest people who take their frustrations out on poor defenseless animals. I fear Solstice has lived with abuse for most of her life. I don't want to give up on her, but I also know that I can't have 3 dogs. I just can't. I want to surround myself with kids. I want to congratulate them on learning to tie a shoe lace; I want to oooh and ahhh when they roll over for the first time. Teaching my dogs to "shake" and "sit" are just not the same. I'm conscious in my decision making with these animals so much so that I wish to leave room for my future family.

I guess J and I just bit off more than we can chew. I recognize that getting Holly so quickly after losing Solstice wasn't the best idea and honestly...it's not too late to give Holly back with a full refund. Solstice, too. But I cannot send them back just to be homeless again. I don't want to play favorites, but it would break my heart to not have Holly around. She is the sweetest, most loyal husky I've ever met and I feel like she's mine already. So, what do I do? I have a responsibility to these pets so I'm not giving them back to the animal shelter. I am, however, searching for a home for Solstice. I want her life to be better. She needs a family with lots of time to devote to her. Or she needs a sled dog team, some place where she fits in, where she can live outside with other dogs and feel comfortable again.

I found a kennel called Where Spirits Walk that takes in sled dogs who are in unfortunate situations. They give them a home and give them a job. They work with abused animals and I truly think Solstice would be perfect for their program, but they are selective about who they will take in. I have been corresponding via telephone and email with one of the employees, but I don't know if it will all pan out. I just want her to be happy and she's clearly not happy with us.

I also have several people that want to visit with her to see if she'll fit with their family. Wish me luck in finding her a happy home. It makes me really sad to type this and I don't know why because I never considered myself an animal lover. I wish Captain J was here to hold my hand and remind me that we can't have three dogs. I wish he would set me straight. But the phone hasn't sounded and I haven't heard from him all day. Here goes another long stint.

I'm just really upset today.

7 comments:

Jessica @ {Mis}Adventures of an Army Wife said...

*hugs*

You're doing the right thing. It would be irresponsible to keep Solstice because you felt you "had" to and not be able to give her the attention she needs.

Here's to finding Solstice her "forever" home! =)

Bill Moore said...

Kacy...I feel your pain. Czonka did not fit in well with Duke and we had to give him away and I really loved that dog. Anyway now we have a dog , a cat, and a bird. 3 animals that ancestry requires them to be enemies. The dog hates the cat, the cat hates the bird and the bird hates everyone. Oh well hang in there. I love you. Dad

Lydia said...

aww :( I wish you didn't have to give her up :( I'm such an dog lover.. I even wish I lived near .. I'd take her .. I hope you find her a great home.. My baby girl was an abused dog as well and because of that she doesn't get along with outsiders.. just my close family.. people she sees almost everyday.. it's kinda hard specially when my other dog gets along with everyone.. but it's also important to give them another chance at a happy dog life :) she'll come around.. just give her time.. time for her to heal her wounds..

hope everything turns out great!
xoxo

Jenn said...

Awww I'm sorry girl but you are doing the right thing. You are looking for a home that fits both the dog and her owner.

B. said...

That's a shame. We adopted a kitten last year and he's literally a scaredy cat. The most frightened little thing! It took him forever to warm up to us and we know it is because of how he was treated before we rescued him. It upsets me too. I don't understand how people can treat any animal bad. I love them way too much to want to hurt them.

I wish I could help you out - but it sounds like you are definitely headed in the right direction! I'll pray for Solstice and your situation!

Louise Barnes said...

Kacy, let's use a spiritual conotation to this. Let's say that Louise is Soltice. Louise has been abused, abandoned. She doesn't trust anyone because of the way she has been used by the world. Then she finds a home in the lap of God. He nurtures her, licks her wounds for her, and does His everloving best to show her that she is loved, and not abandoned any longer. Does she learn to trust Him immediately? No, because she doesn't know trust. Aren't we all like that abandoned abused dog of yours? We can't see that the Master is there to take care of us if we will just TRUST Him.
Yet Soltice returned to your home. Just like we keep leaving God and creeping back, and He's always forgiving, always leaving His hand out and His door open.

I don't know what your solution is for this precious animal, but aren't we all sooooo thankful that our Master is always there, ready to open the door and let us back in!

Love your posts!

carissa said...

I know how you feel! I had to give up my dog a couple years ago and it has been so hard. Luckily she just lives a couple hours away at my parent's house, but I still don't get to cuddle with her every night. But you are doing the best thing. You have to do what is best for both of you!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings