Thursday, June 21, 2012

Things No One Will Ever Tell You About Alaska

I have a treat for you today! As you may know, today marks the journey of our first trip to the beach as a family of three (and a half). Lord, help us! Instead of boring you with- wah, I don't wanna take a 10 month old on a roadtrip or a post saying OMGah, he won't stop crying- I decided I'd grace you with the presence of one of my favorite Alaska bloggers. Her name is Kristin and she is great! Although, we don't share the same feelings for America's largest state, I still enjoy her witty posts, yummy sounding recipes, and reading about her life in Anchorage. She's so sweet, too. In her email to me she wrote, "I originally took a more sarcastic tone {with the guest post}, but I know that you really like Alaska so I went with informative." See? How nice! hehe You know you like her already... 

 Hi!  I'm Kristin from Kristin's kNook.  Just like Mrs. K, I'm an Army wife...and I live in Alaska.


Kristin’s kNook
I found Mrs. K's blog awhile back.  Or maybe she found me.  I can't remember, but I'm glad it happened! Guest-posting while she's on vacation was a no-brainer.  Of course, I have to talk about Alaska. Her blog drew me in because she had been stationed in Alaska.  There's a lot of Army wives out there, but I'm always interested in the ones who've learned to thrive in the non-traditional duty stations (interested in a completely non-creepy way, of course :) In our 3 years in Alaska, we've done the touristy things.  In my opinion, if you've done it once, you've done it all.  Sure, paying $50 a ticket to see a whale and get seasick on the ocean is fun.  But, seriously, all the whales look the same.  And I can guarantee you that the time you spend simultaneously freezing and throwing up on the boat are not worth a glimpse of a whale's tail.   At least not to me.  If it's worth it to you, then you'd fit in just fine here.
Things No One Will Ever Tell You About Alaska 
1.  You cannot see Russia from Alaska. Well, if you fly above northwest Alaska in a plane and it's a clear day, you may be able to see Russia.  It's 58 miles from western Alaska, across the Bering Strait, to Russia.  No one lives in that part of Russia though.  Russia is big.  And cold.  Look at a map.
2.  Drinking is expensive. When your buddies go out and Facebook a bunch of pictures of them drinking tasty microbrews, what they fail to write in the caption is that each of those beers is costing them between $6-$12.  And that means a night out is going to end up costing close to $100 (if you're out with a date/spouse and you factor in tips).  I came from a town where it cost me, myself, $20 for a night of mixed drinks.  Culture shock indeed.
 3.  Eating out is REALLY expensive. Would you believe that the expensive restaurants in Anchorage don't put their prices on their online menus?  That's how they get you.  Let's put it this way:  A "fancy" dinner is going to cost you and your spouse $90-$100, if you include 1 appetizer, 2 entrees, 2 drinks, and maybe dessert.  Plus tip.  I usually pick either a drink OR dessert in an effort to save money.  Many people I know go out to some of these restaurants all the time.  They, my friends, are what I call "nuts".
 4.  We have everything you have! Truly, we do!  The only chain restaurants/stores that I notice myself missing are Panera, Dunkin' Donuts, Marshall's/Homegoods, and I'd about kill for a Trader Joe's.  When we went to California last year, I stuffed my suitcase full of TJ food to take back to Alaska. I live 2 miles from Wal-Mart, 3 miles from a Target shopping center with numerous stores, and my Starbucks options are limitless.   While I really miss a few key places, I've never had it so good.  When I go home, I'm confused as to where I'm to get my coffee.  My parents live in the middle of nowhere.
 5.  It's not dark all the time. In the winter, in Anchorage, the daylight gets down to about 5 1/2 hours per day.  Sun comes up 10:15am and sets around 3:30-3:45pm.  That's on the shortest day of the year, December 21.  Barrow is obviously different.  Once again, look at a map.  When people find out I live in Alaska, the first thing they say is, "Oh oh! I just couldn't deal with all that darkness!  I just couldn't!".  This prompts me to answer, "Really??  How'd you feel about all that light in the summer??"  This confuses them, thereby ending the conversation.  Right now, we're at about 19 hours of daylight.  People tend to forget that part of the Earth's rotation.
Here's a few tidbits if you want to know more, but please, if you're planning a vacation, talk to someone who has been here!  I want you to get the most out of your experience.  Oh, and you can totally look me up.  We can eat over-priced restaurant food together.  
My husband and I in front of the Trans Alaska Pipeline in Fairbanks
Thanks for reading! I hope you'll go check out Kristin's kNook and see for yourself how much fun she is to stalk ;)

16 comments:

Kace said...

Thanks for posting Kristin! I guess you can chalk me up as a "nut". Since there was nothing to do in Fairbanks, we often spent a ridiculous amount of money on a night out to dinner. Sometimes we'd get appetizers/drinks at one place- then go for our dinner elsewhere- and then dessert some place new, too. Fairbanks is kind of a different world, though!
I appreciate you posting for me today :)

Nicole said...

I wouldn't be able to deal with too much sun OR too much dark! I need a normal 24 hours! LOL! But the food and drink? Sounds just like a night out in Boston LOL

Jenn said...

It's Nice to hear the different perspectives of a duty station. What one person loves another hates. I think you find that with every duty station but oconus more often.

hmb said...

I like her maps! I told J I wish there was some way to live in Alaska for just a year and then go back to the lower US. I'd love to experience the beauty of it...just not for too long :)
I always like seeing pix of peeps in front of the pipeline. My grandfather was one of the many workers that helped build it :)

Mrs. Duh said...

Thanks for posting this! I've always been a little nervous at the thought of living in Alaska, but this makes it seem a little less scary.

Carissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber Nicole said...

Oh, Alaska.....
I've been working on a "if you're ever in Alaska" post.... I'll probably post it for right before we PCS. *sigh*
It really is bitter sweet, even though I truly don't much care for it up here, I don't hate it. I think overall, I'm just homesick.
And I like Anchorage SO much more!

Chantal said...

I still want to be stationed there haha. It's similar to Hawaii except the weather!

Kristin said...

Thanks for having me! Fairbanks is the only place in AK that I've truly enjoyed. We were there in the summer and it was 90*. It was heavenly. When my husband is around, we go out a lot more. He's the social one :)

Kristin said...

I LOVE Boston! I'd be willing to pay whatever if it meant I got to go back there. I was awake at 3am the other night because the dumb birds wouldn't stop chirping.

Kristin said...

I'm the only person, I've found, that really doesn't like it here. I've obviously found ways to deal with my issues (blogging, working, the gym, etc.), but everyone else is all smiles when it comes to AK and I don't get it. Oh well, one more year. Everyone tells us to go to Europe because it's so great, but everyone told us to come here too...

Kristin said...

The pipeline was definitely neat to see! Next to it was a giant sign that said, "Canada my ass, it's Alaska's gas".
If you want to come here, you've got to have a plan. The army pays us extra to live here. If it weren't for that, I'd be in an efficiency apartment on my piddly teacher's salary. One year would be fine. We're going on three.

Kristin said...

I was terrified, thinking it'd be like a foreign country. It's not. As soon as you cross the border from Canada into Alaska, you feel like you're in America again :)

Kristin said...

I feel like my whole blog is Alaska-this and Alaska-that. We lived in Eagle River for awhile and I liked that, but then I started working for the Mat-Su School District so we moved to Wasilla. I like that Anchorage has everything you need, but the summer weather in Fairbanks is what I like. Even Wasilla weather is SO much better than Anchorage weather. And don't get me started on the miserable rainy mess that is the Kenai...
We know people in Fairbanks who come to Anchorage to shop, so I do feel bad for them.

Kristin said...

I just never realized how much I would miss hot humid summers. There's no spring, no fall. Just "summer" and 7 months of winter.

Jenn said...

This isn't the first time I have heard someone not enjoy it there and I doubt it will be the last. I really think that with the limited time (ok relatively limited time) of 2-3 years in a location I could deal with just about anything. I say just about because haven't had to deal with anything too extreme in Alabama or Louisiana. Coming from NY the hardest adjustment was just dealing with being in the south. I like to think I have made the adjustment rather well. Alaska, Hawaii, Europe, and Korea all scare me but I do hope we can get one of them while hubby is in the army.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings