Monday, May 17, 2010

"They paved paradise

...and put up a parking lot." Every time I drive through Fairbanks these days, this song pops into my head. Outside my house I see blue skies and several shades of green encompassing our little part of the world. If I hop in the car and pull off of our road, I can see beautiful views of the surrounding mountains. I see people outside biking, roller blading, walking their dogs, running, and enjoying this warm weather.



When I drive into town, though....It just makes me cringe. There are miles and miles of pavement and stores (and definitely not the good ones). The surrounding area is gorgeous and the worn down town is a stark contrast. For this reason, I'm glad we live out of town. I can't wait to get completely out of Fairbanks and head into a less populated territory. I breathe easier out there.

I'm not knockin' the big cities, but they're just not for me. Surround me with God's beautiful creation and I'll take that over Starbucks and Hollister any ole day! Finally, I'm to the point that I can say:

The winter was worth it. We made it and now we have this awesome weather as a reward. Alaska truly is a unique place to live and I'm very thankful to have this experience.

(Oh, yeah...did I mention...Captain J is home sweet home!? He passed with flying colors and was one of 41/400 that did so. I am very proud.)

Much love,

3 comments:

Robin said...

I'm so glad he is home! No more talking to frozen dinners!

I'm so jealous of the weather y'all have up there. It's already been in the 90s here in the deep south!

Molly said...

Glad to hear he is home again! Alaska must be just beautiful, and now I'm sure you'll really appreciate it after winter:) Enjoy your time with your sweetie!

carissa said...

I'm so happy he's home! And that you have nice weather. I can't imagine what Alaska winter would be like.. i have a hard enough time in Texas!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings