Thursday, May 13, 2010

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Wednesday....

Life is easier with friends. This is just something I've learned in my twenty four years here on Earth. Maybe it's not a huge revelation, but it's one I've come to trust. This, I know.

When Captain J left, I was worried that I would seep back into my sedentary lifestyle where laying on the couch all day in front of sitcom reruns was perfectly okay and eating too much or forgeting to eat was commonplace. That's how it was for me during the deployment. I felt like I couldn't leave my condo for fear of missing his Skype call. I became a hermit. I was a slave to technology- my computer and my phone never left my side. I'd take them to the bathroom with me. They'd be beside my head as I slept. It was a difficult year. Luckily, I know people aren't shooting at him or attacking his sleeping quarters with mortars where he's training now so that gives me great comfort and I can relax and try to enjoy my alone time.

This doesn't mean that I don't miss him like crazy, though. I do. Our bed seems too big now and I don't like sleeping in it. When I go to the sink in the mornings to brush my teeth, I don't like seeing the lone toothbrush because it's just a reminder that something is missing. I hear his voice in the evenings and I can hear his exhaustion.

But as I was saying, it's good to have friends that keep me busy. My days have been filled with reruns of a certain show that I'm embarrassed to admit to watching. While this may sound like a "deployment day" to you, I can assure you it is not because I had a friend to join me this time. I also haven't neglected my workout routine either! You're still wondering what show I'm watching, aren't you? I'll tell you if you promise not to laugh. Ok, ready? Army Wives. Yep, that's right...I said it. I like the show. How could I not? Some of the drama that goes on in those military circles is pretty accurate while some of it is just ridiculous and made for t.v. but I love it nonetheless. The show highlights a lot of things that military families deal with on a daily basis and wraps it all up in a fun, addictive package that is Season One. It's nice to watch it with some real Army Wives, too! :)

Anyway, I've stayed pretty busy in J's absence. Alaska is getting to the point where it's light outside quite a bit so it's not too strange that Nicole and I took her daughter to the playground to slide at 10 o'clock one night. She loved it, loved it! And that may be an understatement. My arms grew tired of lifting her back up to her mama every 30 seconds so she could do it all over again. Man, what a cute kid.


It just reminds me how excited I am for each chapter in my life with Captain J. We know we have so much to look forward to as well as enjoying the here and now. It will be wonderful to start our own family in good time.

For the time being, though, this little guy has been my life-



He has kept me company. He has slept beside me and on me on our couch. He hasn't run off. We've gone on walks. We've gone to the park. We've made other doggy friends. Amy and her precious puppy, Knightly joined Drifter and me at the dog park a couple times this week. We had one little mishap while attempting to walk Creamer's Field. We were both using retractable leashes and our puppies started playing and running- tangling each other up and then wrapping Amy and me together. It must have been a sight to see. Needless to say, we didn't stay there long at all.

It has been nice having something to do. Last night, I hosted a Ladies Night at my house. It was only the three of us but we had a good time catching up and talking. I bought some Italian bread and made a dip for it. We had cheese, crackers, and postachios with red wine and my specialty drink. It was fun. I always enjoy hanging out with these two:



 (Notice my wine stained teeth? Eek!)

That's what my week has been like thus far. Tonight, I'm going out to dinner with a friend. Hopefully, Friday and Saturday morning will fly by and I'll be back in Captain J's arms in no time. I sure do miss him!

1 comments:

Blessing said...

My husband just left for basic training and officer candidate school. I am officially an army wife. I am not looking forward to the next 22 weeks.

Any tips on how to stay sane?

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings