Monday, May 3, 2010

"Impressive"

I never win anything! So I was super elated to hear that my writing was chosen over at ArmyWivesLives.com as the winner for the Military Monday Contest. You can find the prizes listed here. I'm just tickled pink! It really encourages me to keep writing, as if I needed more of that ;) If you haven't checked out Candace's Page at Army Wives Lives, you should. If you're a military spouse, it can be a fun and helpful resource for you. Also, I hope you'll play along with us on Military Mondays and link up your military experience blog posts. Today, I thought I'd leave you with a rather humorous, slightly PG-13 entry...
Military Mondays Family and Spouse Carnival at Army Wives' Lives

At the very first Army Ball I ever went to, Captain J and I were still "just dating." This was bothersome to me because when I looked around at the beautiful women surrounding me- all dressed to impress- my eyes drifted down to their left hand to check their status. You know what I'm talking about. I was thinking, "Am I the only unwed woman in this entire room?" I was sure I was. For this reason, I wanted to look extra special that night. I wanted his eyes only on me. I had this girlish hope that when he saw me all dressed up, with make-up on, and hair swept up that he'd simply come to his senses and magically know without a doubt he wanted to marry me. Are you chortling yet? It gets worse...

We took a seat at a table at which I'm the only woman around. Captain J's buddy leaned over and said, "Hey man, did you see the rack on so-and-so? Wow!"

I was slightly perturbed while waiting on J to reply with something dismissing this person's chest, like he wouldn't even consider looking at another woman. Instead of that comment, I heard:

"Yeah. IMPRESSIVE!"

Um. Did I hear that right? I just couldn't believe that I had gotten all dressed up only to hear him talk about some other woman's "impressive rack."

After pouting for a good five minutes, Captain J began to realize something was wrong. When he asked me and I gave him the 'don't you know what you just said' look he begins explaining to me that the "rack" on a uniform is where the serviceperson wears their medals which may, in fact, be impressive.

Boy, did I feel sheepish.

8 comments:

Dave Weigle said...

Wow! I told you, you could write! It's only a matter of time until you're on "Larry King Live". We're proud of you!

Becca said...

Aww...great post. Just stopping in to say hello from San Diego! Love your photos and have always wanted to go to AK. Found your site on a bloghop through another site I follow. My hubby is XO of an minesweeper here in SD, and I am a biologist turned writer of fiction. My blog started out as a running/fitness blog and has blossomed into more over the last couple of years. Keep up the good work!

chancesimtaking said...

that's too funny or a really great cover up... lol. I know the feeling of being the only girl at the table. In fact my first ball we were basically the only people at the table because everyone else bailed on J. That was interesting.

Jenn

Kristine said...

Hi! I like your style. I found you through a comment that you left on someone else's blog. I am so glad I did because you helped me find the MilSpouse Blog Hop. I have been enjoying finding military spouses blogs. Thanks! I look forward to doing some more blog hopping and, stopping back by here. (c:

Beth Makowski said...

No wait, I meant Mrs. J! Ooops!!

Beth Makowski said...

Love the "rack" story! You always make me laugh Mrs. K!!! :)

Jennifer said...

Hilarious!!

Twelve in One « Mrs. K and Captain J said...

[...] brought some happiness, too. I won a writing contest for this post: The Captain and Her. The snow melted and we began to enjoy the little things that [...]

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings