Thursday, May 27, 2010

Grizzlies

Forget baseball. Forget basketball. And soccer? Yeah, right.

I am a football fan. Just the other day I had on a New York Yankee's hat and someone at Wally World excitedly asked if I was a fan. For the life of me, I don't know why I didn't just say, "ehh, it's just a hat I have." Instead I began to explain that MY sport was football....like I couldn't like multiple sports. How weird? I'm sure I sounded like a total football snob, but that's okay. It's America's REAL favorite pasttime.

Living in the Great White North keeps me from this passion of mine. Watching football on T.V. just isn't as fun because I have to wake up bright and early Saturday mornings to watch the games because of the time difference. Plus Captain J doesn't care much for football unless the Steelers are playing. In addition to these obstacles, it's really difficult to find a football game in these parts as you can imagine.

Indoor football is the closest we have for any hope of getting my fix. I used to think it was kinda lame, but now I'll take what I can get! Last weekend, Captain J, 3 of his buddies, and I went to another game. It was a big game supposedly. There was to be much excitement and lemme tell ya, it didn't disappoint.


For the majority of the game, the Fairbanks Grizzlies were behind by a few points. There were a few awesome tackles and barely caught impossible to catch passes but for the most part, we were not emotionally invested in the game. It was hotter than a tamale in the arena and we were all pretty much trying not to move around much. We mostly nibbled on pretzels and fudge and washed that down with beer--You know...all the foods ya shouldn't eat but feel entitled to in such a scenario. And we just chatted- only half way watching the game.

Then the fourth quarter came.It was intense and at one point it wasn't looking good for the home team...so much in fact, that several people got up and left. The game was over. I had given up. Miraculously, with a few seconds left to play a call was taken back and the Grizzles got the ball again. They scored a touchdown that left us down by one point. We all sat there as we realized that overtime was imminent. Just as we were on the edge of our seats, they decided the'd go for two instead of kicking a field goal. Pretty cocky move, huh? Anyway, with no time left to play, the Grizzlies ran the ball into the endzone scoring two points and winning the game by one point.

And the crowd went wild!


Of course after that kind of victory, we had to go get t-shirts!

As we exited the stadium, some incredibly intoxicated middle aged woman began hitting on one of the guys. We took a video of the escapade that we often play back and laugh at. She was ridiculous! Apparently, this wasn't the first time they met...He might just have a stalker. Thankfully, I'm pretty dang sure he can outsmart her. She's not the brightest crayon....hittin' on a married man like that. Tsk, tsk!

See ya tomorrow for 5QF!

4 comments:

carissa said...

Fun times! I'm not really a fan of many, (read:any) sports, but I have to admit that I find myself getting more and more into the football games I'm forced into watching. I suppose after a while, if you're American- you really don't have a choice! I'm glad they have something up there for you !

Jenn said...

that sounds so much like my J. Hard core Steelers fan as well. looks like you enjoyed yourself!

B. said...

Ooo! I love football! But I have to be honest, I adore basketball and soccer too. Maybe it's because I played both when I was in school. But football is definitely a favorite of mine as well.

Also, I should just mention that I'm loving that Captain J's friend in the photo above is wearing the ECU cap! That's my alma mater! ^_^ Too bad our football team's been pretty crappy for the past few years.

Twelve in One « Mrs. K and Captain J said...

[...] May brought some happiness, too. I won a writing contest for this post: The Captain and Her. The snow melted and we began to enjoy the little things that Alaska offered. Later that month, I finally got my football fix. [...]

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings