Sunday, June 13, 2010

Place of Refuge

Here's a fact that I wasn't aware of prior to our trip to the Hawaiian Islands: There are many (many) places throughout the Islands where tourists aren't welcome. The natives have certain beaches and portions of land that are held sacred to them so walking on these reserved spaces is frowned upon. I cannot believe that they're getting away with this, but I think it's excellent. I mean, c'mon.... Look what the white man did to the rest of the continental United States. There just aren't many places set aside for preserving other cultures anymore.

[caption id="attachment_1027" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="*Notice the raised stone altars just outside our hotel. These are reserved for the Natives' prayer time."][/caption]

There was one particular beach that looked beautiful from the ocean, but it was only open strictly to Native children. I was sorta jealous but mostly just in awe. It was gorgeous. We scuba dived near that particular beach.

Other restricted areas are open for viewing and respecting, but swimming is prohibited. One of these such places is found on the Big Island and it's deemed the Place of Refuge. It was so serene there-







We visited this National Park the first full day we had on the island. It was really neat to be welcomed and informed by the natives of Hawaii on the Polynesian culture of the area. The vegetation and rituals were reminiscent of New Zealand. We caught glimpses of the Maori culture represented at the luau we went to later on in the trip. It was nice to reflect back on that trip and be reminded of what we were blessed enough to have experienced together.





While the Hawaiians have reserved sacred places of refuge around their land, the island and the experience was our refuge all week long.

Aloha!


More to come! By the way, I'm almost caught up on all of your blogs. Forgive me if I haven't commented in awhile. You wouldn't believe how many "unreads" I had in my Google Reader. I've had fun reading what you all have been up to the past week, though. :)

17 comments:

Dave Weigle said...

You got my son to wear plaid shorts! I love it and love you Kacy Sue, you've accomplished what I thought to be the impossible Sounds like you had an amazing time! Mom W

Molly said...

It looks like you had an awesome trip! What a wonderful getaway :)

Jenn said...

That sounds so beautiful and peaceful. I'm glad you two go some rest, relaxation and warm weather!

Mrs. K said...

haha...It did seem impossible, huh? He looks good in them! Love ya!

Damon said...

I live on the Big Island of Hawaii.

I can't think of one beach that does not allow folks from the mainland to visit or enjoy.

I'm not sure where you got the mis-information.

Mrs. K said...

Every tour guide we had told us of and showed us places that were sacred to the natives of Hawaii. Aside from that, we read signs saying such. Here's a link that shows of a few places: http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Hawaii_State_of/Hawaii_Big_Island/Kailua_Kona-772371/Local_Customs-Kailua_Kona-Sacred_Sites-BR-1.html
The beach that we scuba dived near was supposedly reserved for Native children only. We were told the only way locals or tourists could gain access was if they were invited and accompanied by a native. It's not that hard to believe that beaches are held sacred when there's a whole island that is forbidden, too-- http://www.aloha-hawaii.com/hawaii/niihau/
Pretty nifty!

Damon said...

LOL... if you are on a paid tour... then they don't show you the real Hawaii.

I have lived here most of my life... my Ohana has lived here for 8 generations and is related to the Hawaiian Monarchy here.

You have obviously been very misinformed and took the touristy side of things.

I'm the admin of http://fbiblogs.com (From Big Island Blogs) and not one of the people writing for me would ever say this about any of our beaches and we all live on this island.

Damon said...

Oh yeah... the Aloha-Hawaii.com site is run by my friend Bruce Fisher.

Even people born and raised in Hawaii... that our "Native" and have Hawaiian Blood.... cannot visit Ni'ihau without consent.

Doesn't matter whether you are native (as you call us) or white (Haole).

You simply can't go to Ni'ihau w/out an invite from the families that live there... has nothing to do with color or race.

Mrs. K said...

I didn't say it had anything to do with color or race?

Damon said...

Yes you did...

"There are many (many) places throughout the Islands where tourists aren’t welcome. The natives have certain beaches and portions of land that are held sacred to them so walking on these reserved spaces is frowned upon. I cannot believe that they’re getting away with this,"

Mrs. K said...

I was there a week...of course I took the "touristy" route. We also talked to locals, too which is where we got most of our information from. I'm clueless as to why multiple people would tell us the same fabrication? Anyway, it seems you were bothered by my using the term "native". Is that offensive? I hope not...didn't mean for it to be.
Anyway, you live in a beautiful place! Can't wait to visit some of the other islands.

Damon said...

It's a fabrication when folks pass on things that are myths that get passed on.

Locals may tell you something... only because they themselves don't want you to visit "their beach".

Some locals are possessive... but there is nothing stating that tourists can't visit any beaches here in Hawaii.

Tourists can take their risk at times by going to beaches that are "not advised to go to" however, there is no laws or nothing set in stone stating that anyone or any person can't visit a beach in Hawaii.

In fact there are laws that guarantee the coastlines as being accessible to the people.

Sorry to go off on your blog... I'll go hide in a corner... I hate it when tourists come over here... and then leave a false impression of our 'aina.

Mrs. K said...

I wasn't using native as a term for race or color. People who are natives are native to the state of HI. That's all I meant.

Mrs. K said...

I never said there were laws in place...I said violating these sacred places was "frowned upon"

I hate that I have a false impression of your land, but I was only reporting on my experience there and what I heard from the people of HI.

You can't hate the tourists, though! Think of all the money we pump into your state every year :)

Damon said...

I think you were lead on a tour that was mis-informed on a few things.

Thanks for the dialog.

Next time you come to Hawaii... I will offer you more recommendations from a "local" so to speak.

Hope my comments haven't spoiled anything... just didn't want you or the readers of your blog to have an impression that any beaches were off limits to tourists... as that is simply not the case.

Mrs. K said...

No worries. Thanks for the info!

Lissa said...

Lovely! I would so love to go to Hawai'i one day, when I can afford the trip and the flight... For now, it's still a daydream. :)

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings