Monday, June 14, 2010

pssst..hey...

Look at those two! They are bad to the bone, right? Rockstars. Supafly. Awesomeness seeps out of their whole being. Wanna know why?

Well, Captain J and I completed our open water dive certification. Pretty cool, huh? We started this adventure way back in October with hopes of accomplishing this task in NZ, but it never happened. Desparate to not dive in dry suits and excrutiatingly painful AK water, we made it a top priority to finish up our dives some place a bit warmer. I was so glad we did.

I cannot describe to you how nervous I was before Dive #1. I mean....how weird is it to be able to breathe underwater? It just doesn't seem right. I kept thinking, 'I'm going to throw myself into the depths of the ocean (40 feet) and trust  man-made equipment to sustain my endless need to inhale/exhale?' Eventually I learned to trust the guides, the regulator, and myself which in turn built my self-confidence. It truly is a blessing to be able to explore the depths of an unknown place, another part of God's creation. There's so much more out there than what we can see.

Scuba diving is fantastic. We're hooked. We saw all sorts of interesting fish, eels, dolphins, and coral. On our last dive, there was talk of a 12 foot Tiger Shark when we surfaced but thank goodness I didn't see that. That might have stopped my heart for a few seconds! That might have ruined diving for me. It's just too soon to be swimmin' with sharks, ya know?

Captain J was wonderful in encouraging and comforting me underwater. I had a little talk with him beforehand. I told him that I wasn't one of his Army buddies--I wasn't fearless--I was nervous and I was allowed to be scared. Essentially, I told him I wanted him to baby me (hehe). He claims he didn't have to, though. We had fun in this experience and actually did the whole pukey romantic thing of holding hands while we explored. We may or may not have broken out a few car moves in the ocean, too. Yeah, we're that couple. The weirdos. Ahh, well...

We ended up finishing up the vacation with four dives under our belts, a sweet new certification card for each of us and the hope of being able to dive again soon. It feels good to have accomplished something new and fun-together.

Have any of you ever tried scuba diving? If so, did you enjoy it? If you haven't done it, would you?

More on Hawaii later.

7 comments:

Molly said...

Love it! Pukey romance definitely has it's place! :) Congrats on the certification!

Lissa said...

My boyfriend has his certificate, but I'm deathly afraid of the water and can't bring myself to dive. I might try snorkelling, though, but I want to wait till I have a camera that works underwater. Congrats, though!

Jenn said...

I went for the first time in Australia but they more so gave you a crash course and threw you in the water. I was kinda freaked out but relaxed near the end of the dive. I was not thrilled with that Mini lesson and in return i didn't have fabulous time I had anticipated. J is really into diving and is patient with me when it comes to learning new things so I would try it again with him. Sounds like you have a great time!

Mrs. K said...

Yeah...start out snorkling. A lot of really cool things can be seen in the more shallow areas, too. I bet you'll enjoy it!

Mrs. K said...

Thanks!

Mrs. K said...

It seems like those quick orientation courses are scary b/c the guides may not realize how nervous first timers can be. Try it again. I bet you'll love it once you start to feel more comfortable with the equipment.

Dani said...

Awesome! Congrats on your cert! We just got open water certified in Mexico earlier this month, and we're going back in August to work towards advanced open water! We LOVE it.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings