Monday, April 23, 2012

Looking Back

What a coincidence that I should wake up to three inbox messages from friends in Alaska this morning. My home away from home (away from home) has been on my mind a lot lately. Most people who have the luck of being stationed in Alaska either love it or hate it. For us, it was a place that settled deep into our bones and crept into our hearts. Sure, the cold is a bummer sometimes but the memories we made there are more than enough to keep warm. Our time there together was a learning experience and an adventure. I didn't have a car so I was house-bound most of the time. We didn't have a fenced in yard so there was no reprieve from our hyper active pups. Captain J worked really late sometimes and boy, was it cold. But on the weekends, we made the best of our time in the Great White North. We had a blast.



It's easy to sit here and look out at the flat Louisiana land and the hot, humid temps and say, "Remember when...?" Yesterday, we reminisced through old photo albums for so long that we missed church.




The thing I miss most is waking up to the Alaskan Range in the distance and feeling God's handy work surround me. Ahh, mountains. I need them in my life.

I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side. I love our life here in LA, but every now and then I feel the tug of America's largest state beckoning me back, begging me to fish her rivers and climb her ridge lines.

(Note: Please don't steal my husband's photos. I made them of low quality to deter people from taking them. Thank you!)

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Were you stationed at Ft. Rich?? (I think I've asked you this before...) I, unfortunately, am one of those "hate it" people. I know that I will miss it when we leave, but I just can't stand the cold in the winter, the 50 degree Julys, and the fact that I have to pay $1,000 (plus shopping money, of course) to see my parents. However, we are heading into May, which is usually the most beautiful month here!

Chantal said...

I would definitely put Alaska on our short list for next duty stations!

Kace said...

Nope, we were at Wainwright. Would have loved to have Rich. Although we headed to Anchorage once a month or so. We traveled a lot on the weekends and had a great time exploring all over the state. I bet Anchorage does get old, though. It's not as cold during the winter as Fairbanks, but in the summer Fairbanks is typically much warmer and you guys get stuck with the chilly rain. I hope you enjoy May! :)

Kace said...

As you probably guessed, I would definitely recommend Alaska! ;)

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings