Monday, May 21, 2012

How To Quiet Your Screaming Child

To all those people to whom I cringed when I saw you carrying your small infant on an airplane, I'm sorry. To those Moms and Dads at the grocery store who wait in long lines with loud children, I apologize for getting annoyed. I didn't realize how hard it can be to be you. I probably thought more than once- control your child! I know, I know...babies cry. That doesn't bother me. But Baby K is slowly creeping into toddler hood and I should be able to "control" him, right?

Well, I can't.

He has started this new thing where he likes to scream bloody murder or the nine month old equivalent of it and I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on. Is he bored? Just trying to talk? Mad? I know he must have something he wants to get across, but I can't seem to pick up on what it is. I also do not know how to approach this issue. Should I tell him "no"? What if he's simply trying to talk- I wouldn't want to dissuade him. Regardless, I don't think I can go in public again until this is resolved.

Let me set the scene for you...

Jenn, her hubby, and the Mrs. K and Captain J clan head over to a Thai restaurant in town for an early evening dinner. I thought I was prepared with my freshly pureed banana and avocado, a paci or ten, and toys. My sweet boy banged his chubby little wrists and hands on the table over and over again with that infectious little smile of his plastered on his face. When he began to get antsy, I started feeding him although our food hadn't appeared yet. He (loudly) ate most of his dinner, but wasn't pleased with the sudden break in his evening routine. After all, it was supposed to be bath time--jazz time! Baby K started whining which quickly led to his screaming. It's not a cry- it's more like sporadic bursts of panic ridden screams designed to put any mom on her toes ready to spring into action. It's also the kind of sound that makes people in restaurants instantly hate you. Approximately three minutes into this fit, I decide to take him outside so as not to bother anyone else around.

I suppose it was a bit too late.

I stayed outside with Baby K while everyone else ate and visited with intent to go back inside when my husband was done enjoying his meal so we could trade off. I was walking around the building showing my little man incredibly interesting stuff like plants and cars and concrete when out walked an older couple that looked like they could be grandparents or great-grandparents. I smiled that awkward hello smile as I moved out of the way of their exit. They glared at me. Sent daggers through my soul. Told me they hated me with their whole being.

Defeated, I asked Jenn to bring the keys to the car out to me as I strapped my little boy in his car seat and got the A.C. going for him. I'd just get mine to go. He was asleep in minutes.

Me?

Days later, I'm still worried about what people think. How do I handle this? Part of me has that nagging guilt in the back that says, "You don't know what you're doing- how are you supposed to raise a respectful, well-behaved young man? You're faking this motherhood thing."

The other part of me is embracing this ride through parenthood and smiling at the thought that this will all just be a funny memory in a couple of years. At least that's what I'm hoping!

Sweet, little man- We've come a long way, baby!

(*Oh, you thought you were getting instructions on how to get your little one to zip it? Sorry, still working on that one.)

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Yeah, when you figure out that whole "get your kid to zip it when they are bored and tired" thing, please let us all know!

Karen said...

I agree - when you figure out the "getting your child to be quiet" thing, please please please share with all of us. Nora was like that today when we were out, it does get a teensy bit uncomfortable with all of the looks from other people. You are not alone :)

Angie said...

I feel your pain!!! My toddler is killing me with his tantrums

Amber Nicole said...

Don't stress it, lady! It happens to the best of us :)

Jenn said...

Can't believe those old crotchety assholes you ran into at the restaurant. They've been on this earth longer, therefore, should be accustomed to the sound of a baby's cry. I'm sorry you had to endure those ugly looks. Just know that normal, DECENT people feel sympathy and relief (that it's not their child) when they hear a baby's cry.

Sam lost it at the commissary yesterday and while I would usually ignore him at home, it just didn't seem like the right approach there. I tried distracting him but omg KIDS. Where did they get these minds of their own??

Sadly, we don't go out anymore.. Unless it's lunchtime with a playplace in sight (free entertainment).

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings