Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Days Past

It's always been a little peculiar to me that Memorial Day is such a happy time for most. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it! It's just that the day was originally set aside as a day to remember those fallen  people who have died in our nation's service. I wonder how many people actually think about that, though as they go about their day? I absolutely think this day is a perfect opportunity to visit with family and have fun with friends, but I just urge you to say a prayer (if that's your thing!) for those families that have lost loved ones fighting overseas- past and present. As citizens of this great country of ours, I think it's crucial we at least acknowledge those that have paid the ultimate sacrifice on this day.
That's my great grandfather. He lost his life while serving in WWII. My grandfather missed out on having his biological father around for most of his life. Our nation's families are still sacrificing and suffering today. I'm forever grateful for people that offer up their time and safety for the needs of this country and her people. What brave and exemplary individuals we have serving in this nation's military.

My plans for this weekend include reflection and relaxation. My husband is gone, yet again, so it'll just be little K and the babe growing inside me. If I were home in East TN, no doubt I'd be hanging out by the pool or partaking in the festivities that Rockin' the Docks brings on the weekend. There are no hot dogs and family fun for me today so I thought I'd look back a bit on Memorial Weekends Past...

2009: Captain J was home on R&R from Iraq! We hiked Charlie's Bunyon in Tennessee.


And did a little boating!


2010: We went hiking in Denali National Park, Alaska.

Then later we fished the Chena for some grayling.


2011: We spent much of Memorial Day Weekend traveling from Ft. Benning, GA to Home Sweet Home, Tennessee. My bestie threw me a baby shower! I was 29 weeks pregnant. Here's a photo of my mom and me.

That brings us to 2012 here in Louisiana! I hope you all have a great Memorial Day. Have safe and happy fun!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Happy Memorial Day to you and the babes! I wish that we in Canada celebrated Memorial Day too, we only have Remembrance Day (which is the same as Veteran's Day I think) in November.

Jamie said...

I hope you get a nice relaxing day today!

Anonymous said...

Fun fun! Have a wonderful Memorial!!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings