Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dear Sally


I remember sitting on her porch, the heat stifling in the Tennessee summer. Around us flies were flocking, left and right. I sat with her husband, Ray as we developed a game of it. Various fly swatters among us, we counted the ones that crossed our paths to their demise.
Inside perhaps she was whipping up some oatmeal in the kitchen. For some reason, her oatmeal stands out in my mind. It sure was good! Sally was a good cook.
Sally was my childhood babysitter, neighbor, and friend.
As of late, she was my pen pal.
At 94 years old, she still could carry on a conversation. She loved to talk and it often came out in her letters as she wrote to me asking about my life these days. How was I doing? How was the baby? He sure is cute! Sometimes her letters talked about her late husband's experience in the military and how we were kindred spirits in having to raise young children while our husbands were away. She has been around my whole life and even after I moved off for college, I'd still try to go and see her when I could. Sally later moved to Georgia where her daughter was living. During our brief stay at Ft. Benning, I met my mom, sister, and niece at her assisted living home to visit with her in person. I was pregnant with Baby K at the time...


That was the last time I saw her. Her letters still arrived sporadically. She found it hard to write with her arthritis. I just thought what a strong woman she must be!

Last week, I came across one of her letters tucked into my journal that I must have wanted to keep. I thought to myself, "I should write her and tell her about baby #2 and send photos!" She enjoyed getting photos.


Sally passed away on Sunday.

It breaks my heart that I can't be there to pay tribute to such a beautiful person who had a big impact on me over the course of my life. She meant a lot to my family. This is just another sacrifice that military families have to make. Living far away from friends and family becomes even more heart-wrenching when someone dies.

So this is my goodbye.

Thank you, Sally for everything you did for me. You showed me love like any grandparent would. You made me laugh! You made me talk louder which is a miracle in itself for anyone that knows me. You were such a kind soul and you'll be missed.

Love,


2 comments:

Chantal said...

She sounds like she was a wonderful woman!

Louise Burnette Barnes said...

I know she loved you and Paige. She told me many times. She was a great neighbor.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings