Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Bedroom of my Youth

As I write this, I only know one thing for sure: I don't know what will spill out of me. I just know that I need to write. I tell myself that no thought, no feeling is off limits tonight. I need the catharsis that writing brings me.


Self reflection is easy when one is placed in the very bedroom of their youth. Surrounded by an old t.v. that no longer serves a purpose, a closet and drawers full of clothes from my past, and various other knick-knacks that Ive accumulated over my twenty four years, causes me to think. I think about how completely my life has changed and I wonder what it all means. I feel as if I"m two very different people and that doesn't sit well with me. The life that Captain J and I have built together in Alaska will soon come to an end. I wonder how we'll fit back into the social circles here. How will these worlds of ours combine? Part of me wishes to take the bubble that is our life in the Last Frontier and preserve it in my hand always. The other part knows we'll smoothly transition into a life where we can have both our families and each other. Still I worry.


I see him in everything. The bouqet I held at our wedding serves as a beautiful reminder of the day I married my best friend. It is displayed in my old bedroom and I can't stop staring. I can't stop remembering. I recall thinking to myself, "I can't believe he wants to marry me." Now, several months have gone by and those same sentiments haven't changed. He'll always be too good for me in my eyes. He's such an honest and good natured man and most of the time I feel as if I don't deserve him. God really blessed me when he put my husband in my life.


I think of things throughout the day that I want to tell J about and then it hits me that I won't be talking with him anytime soon. I especially miss him on nights like tonight when the rest of the house is sleeping and I"m wide awake wondering how he's doing and how I'm going to make it the next few weeks without so much as a peep from my other half.


In this bedroom of my youth, there's only one consistent thought and that is J. He's my past, present, and future and that has seeped in completely in my heart. Little else matters. I look around and I know where my heart belongs, where it will always belong- with the man in ACUs who had me from hello.


Past. Present. Future.

10 comments:

Alyson said...

So beautifully written. You are uber talented.

Kimmie said...

Very well said, my dear. I am so excited that you got to spend this time in Alaska...just the two of you. As you move forward to the next chapter in your married life, it is a time that will always remain special for you both. Embrace the next step the with that same passion....can't wait to see what wonderful things are next for you. Love ya'

Laura Weigle said...

Kacy, Loved this post! David and I had so much fun with you two this weekend! Just relaxing and swapping stories.

Laura Weigle said...

Sorry about that, anyhoo I wanted to finish telling you , I'm still chuckling over Drifter stories. I can't wait to meet the doggies. Even tho they will be in the garage most of their visit! lol. We can't wait to you are both back in the area. We will have so much fun! ( There is alot of shopping out there to be done) . Can't wait to see where you settle in Fort Benning either. We will wear the highway out visiting ( of course if we are invited) Don't want to be a buttinski MIL! Love you, your man and your doggies! Laura

Kim said...

Memories... you remind me of my early married days: crappy apartment, Ronnie working midnight shift, me going to UTK, 1982 World's Fair... ah, memories.

Kim said...

Oops.. didn't finish before I hit "Enter". You and J are so blessed to have each other! And you write so beautifully, it just draws me in to your lives.

B. said...

Memories are bittersweet aren't they? Although you have to go a few weeks solo, at least your life is about to begin a whole new chapter! Soon you guys will be together to embark on the future in this new phase of your lives. Sounds exciting to me! God bless!

Jenn said...

beautifully written... why are you not a writer Mrs. K???

I know that feeling all too well. I'll be praying a little extra for both of you in this time.

Mrs. S. said...

So beautifully written! You are indeed talented.

Wife on the Roller Coaster said...

What a beautifully written and honest post. My husband is my past, my present, and my future as well. I no longer remember my life without him. I loved reading this.

Thank you for linking up on the mil spouse weekly roundup! Hope to see you again next week.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings