Monday, October 4, 2010

Bonfire Bliss

On Saturday night, our good friends from church- Justin and Michelle- asked us over for some good food and a bonfire. It was the perfect evening for it. They dug a pit in the ground, stacked up rocks around it, and built a fire to warm us up. Fairbanks is usually in the twenties now at night so the flames were much appreciated. While we were gathered around chatting and enjoying a beer, two moose walked right up to us in the yard. This is something I don't think I'll ever get completely used to. I don't freak out anymore like I've done on previous occasions, but I am very aware that I need to be on my toes. We brought out a gun, just in case. Moose season is over so I'm sure we would have had some questions to answer if we had shot them, but we were okay with them so long as they were okay with us. In Alaska, one can never take too many precautions when a mama moose and her young are around! For the most part, these humongous creatures keep to themselves.

We didn't let them stop us from enjoying the great outdoors. I can't tell you how happy I am to have met this couple. I'll definitely miss them when we leave. It's sobering knowing we probably only have a few months left here. I'm beginning to realize how much it's going to suck (for lack of a better term) to say goodbye to friends- not to mention, the beauty that Alaska holds. Michelle is one of those people who is completely easy to talk to. She's intelligent and interesting and most of all, a strong Christian influence. I really enjoy spending time with her. Thank God for the dog park and meeting new friends ;) Drifter is good for something afterall!

Enjoy some photos from Saturday night:



Noticing my sweat shirt, you'll probably realize how the beginning of my Saturday went. I woke up and was pumped for the TN vs. LSU football game. I watched Tennessee win that game and then lose it on a technicality. Yes, they screwed up- but the game was over! What about calling all those helmets hitting the ground ref?? Pretty sure that's a 15 yard penalty! Ugh. I was livid.

The only thing that turned my day around was watching Alabama beat Florida. That never gets old!

My Sunday was pretty great, too. We had a wonderful service at church and then we got to see something really happy later on that day. I'll be sure to share that with you later. Right now I'm going to take out the book of the week and get to reading. Unfortunately, Captain J had to head into work because some punk soldier was arrested and now J has to do paperwork because of it. Thanks a lot, whoever you are- for taking my hubby away from me yet again. Hmph!

And now I'll quit complaining.

5 comments:

Hilary said...

I would be inside under blankets if it were in the 20s! My friend LB was there and she said when it was so cold in the winter that when it hit the 20s and 30s she felt like she should be in a bikini. LOL.

Mrs. K said...

Oh yeah...it definitely gets that way. When it has been forty below and warms up to 15 below- people are in shorts and flipflops! I guess the body just acclamates. It's crazy!

Sarah said...

thanks again! you guys are awesome. Graham got called at least five times afterwards and had to go in twice! >:-(

Twelve in One « Mrs. K and Captain J said...

[...] spent October hanging out with good friends, taking a crazy trip to the Arctic Circle, and celebrating [...]

Sickos. « Mrs. K and Captain J said...

[...] blog/vlog about our adventures in hunting in The Arctic Circle. Perhaps you were surprised when during a bonfire with friends, a moose walked right up to our party. Now, that was entertaining. There was always a bear, dall sheep, or something to write home [...]

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings