Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Choosing to See

It's 7ish PM Alaska Time (Yes, that's the name of the time zone) and my husband is outside tinkering with his jeep, although he is home so I can't complain. I have a glass of red sitting by the computer and dinner intoxicating our home with delicious smells. The two dogs are downstairs being good (and quiet) and I can truly say, "Life is good today".

I had a great day. One of my favorite things to do in this town is to go to the local Barnes and Noble bookstore. They have a huge circular fireplace with oversized, comfy plaid and solid chairs surrounding it. It's the perfect place to relax, put my feet up, grab a cup of coffee and enjoy a good book. Today I chose a book that I first heard about from Kate. The book was written by Mary Beth Chapman, wife of the popular Christian songwriter and performer, Steven Curtis Chapman. It's called Choosing to See and I can't sing its praises enough...


While I'll admit I only got half way through it before it was time to leave to go start dinner, I already have been spoken to via her writing and God's will. I will, of course, have a book review to come when I do finish, but I just wanted to go ahead and recommend it to all of you. Her story is one of struggle. She pictured her life all planned out, but God continues to throw some curve balls in her way. You may know that this family experienced a tragic loss when one of their sons hit one of their adopted daughters in a tragic car accident. She writes about this loss and many other obstacles that she has had to deal with throughout her life. What I like about her story is that it is real. We often look at people in the so-called spotlight and put them up on a pedestal. Christian musicians and ministers have it all together, in our minds. In reality, they struggle, too. Everyone struggles with something. Life isn't perfect. But the faith and grace that Mary Beth Chapman talks about in her book can be an example to anyone who wonders why God does some of the things He does. We may never understand His ways, but it's encouraging to know that there are others out there who endure (very) hardships but still come out at the end praising and worshiping God for all He has done in their lives.

Another aspect of the book that I enjoyed learning more about was their experience in adopting. The Chapmans' adopted three beautiful little girls from China to add to their already family of five. Since I was young, I have always thought about how one day I would like to adopt. Captain J and I have talked about this as an option (an option far, far away, of course) and I plan to look into it some more as the years go by.

I could have posted up there all day and finished the book if time allowed. I love her writing and I really love stories of faith and grace. You won't be disappointed if you check out her book.

I'm glad I was able to look at my life today and see how God has blessed me. I'm choosing to see!

Anyway, I'm going to go prepare some rice to go with what I've already prepared. Let's talk soon, mmkay?

Much love,


(*I was not compensated or contacted to write this review)

4 comments:

Brittany said...

Hey girl.. again, always love reading! I've finally decided to write my own. I don't think it will compare to your's, but I've always liked writing. I think I had about a buh-zillion journals growing up. lol I'm still learning the in's and out's of the whole thing but I think I'm getting there!

Brittany said...

Hey girl.. love reading as always! I've finally decided to write my own. It won't compare to your's but I've always loved writing. I think I had about a buh-zillion journals growing up. lol I'm still learning all the in's and out's but I'm getting there!

Becca said...

Looks like a great read! Will have to put it on the list :)

Jenn said...

They are amazing people! I got to see them at West Point for a concert. They are such humble people. I totally have hit up BAM! to get it.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings