Sunday, October 3, 2010

Wined and Dined

It's Sunday evening and I'm nestled in my warm house after a weekend of many activities. It feels good to relax and know that my Monday will be just as nice. My Captain is off work- He had a "three day" weekend! While I do have much to say, it might have to wait because eight o'clock is nearing and that means that it's time for The Amazing Race. I do have some time so I'll let you in on a few tidbits...

I've been nursing a cold, sore throat, and icky feeling for about a week so when J got off work early on Friday, we decided a nap was in order. During that nap, Captain J got a phone call from one of his buddies, asking if we wanted to join him and his wife for dinner. She is an amazing cook. I won't tell you what all we had in case you haven't eaten lately or are on a diet because it will definitely have you salivating. I will say that I drank the most aged wine I've had before. A bottle of French table wine graced the four chair table setting during dinner. They had a box of spirits that had been passed down from an older family member who was somewhat of a wine conoisseur. The two of them asked us to pick out a bottle we'd like to have which left us feeling pretty undeserving. We thought, "Don't waste good wine on us!" Our "house wine" is about 3 bucks at Walmart :) , if that tells you anything.

Anyway, we found a bottle that had 1971 printed on the label. We thought it must surely be spoiled by now. As we opened the bottle, we noticed some slight bleeding through of the cork, but we left the wine to sit for a few minutes. When we tasted it, it was delicious! Or maybe it wasn't? Because we really are quite cheap. Almost anything tastes good to us! I suspect it really was tasty because they drank it, too and seemed to enjoy it.

Captain J and I had a fun evening with this couple and left their house that night happy to have another married couple to hang out with. We made plans for next weekend as well. We're going hunting and camping, which sounds fun in most other states in October, but I just am not convinced that camping in Alaska in October is going to be up my alley. Sounds much too frigid for my tastes! I suppose we'll see what happens. I'm going to strap on my happy face and try to keep up with all these outdoorsmen(women). I'll be sure to come back and regale you with stories from that trip.

That's all I've got for you tonight, but I wanted to let you know about a fabulous new blogger who I just happened to get the priviledge of knowing. My dear friend, Nicole, can be found at her blog, Carolina North. I've mentioned her several times on this blog, but you'll know her best as the first friend I made up here in Alaska. She has moved on since then as many military families tend to do, but we are keeping in touch because we wouldn't have it any other way. She's a thoughtful and very witty writer so go check her out!

I'll be sure to write again soon.

Love,

8 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

How fun!

Brie said...

Oh you lucky girl! Snuggled up in Alaska with a bottle of nom nom wine! Jealous!

(Yes, I realize I live in Hawaii, but would you believe I'd prefer to be where YOU are?) :P

Laura Weigle said...

About $100 or more.

http://www.cellartracker.com

As with a large part of the Bordeaux vineyards, vines first appeared in Margaux during the Gallo-Roman period. In 1705 a text mentions Château Margaux . But we have to wait for the end of the eighteenth century and the coming of the earliest techniques in aging for the concept of wines of high quality to develop. The confirmation of this was the famous 1855 classification which recognized 21 Crus Classés in the Margaux appellation. One hundred years later, the Viticultural Federation and the Margaux appellation of controlled origin were born. The appellation, which stretches out over five communes, is actually unique in the Médoc in that it is the only one to contain all the range of wines, as rich as they are vast, from First Great Cru Classé to the Fifths, not forgetting its famous Crus Bourgeois and its Crus Artisans.

In Margaux there is a predominance of Garonne gravel on a central plateau of about 4 miles in length and one and a quarter wide. To the east-south-east, it overlooks the low lying land by the estuary. Its east side is marked by gentle, dry valleys and a succession of ridges.The layer of gravel in Margaux was spread out by a former Garonne in the early Quaternary. Rather large in size, it is mingled with shingle of average dimension and represents the finest ensemble of Günz gravel in the Haut-Médoc. It is on this ancient layer on a Tertiary terrace of limestone or clayey marl that the best Médoc crus lie. All the conditions for successful wine are present : a large amount of gravel and pebbles, poor soil which cannot retain water and deep rooted vines.

It is customary to say that Margaux wines are the "most feminine" in the Médoc, thus stressing their delicacy, suppleness and their fruity, elegant aromas. This does not affect their great propensity for aging; just the opposite, for the relatively thin terroir imparts tannins which give them long life. The other characteristic of these wines which combine an elegant vitality, subtlety and consistency, is their diversity and personality. Over and above the flavour which is their "common denominator", they present an exceptional palette of bouquets, fruity flavours which show up differently from one château to another.

Dave Weigle said...

Sorry - previous post was from me; didn't reset the email.

B. said...

Ooo! Wine and dining with friends - two of my most favorite things in the whole wide world! Happy you and the hubs had a great time!

Um...I've never been hunting OR camping. The hunting part kind of frightens me a little bit. The camping part I'd definitely like to do, but just never really had the chance. I have always been such a city girl! I can't wait to hear about your experiences!

Mrs. K said...

Wanna trade? I've really enjoyed it here, but I can definitely see myself in Hawaii, too! ;)

Mrs. K said...

Cool! Thanks for the info. Oh, and I figured it was you David!

Mrs. K said...

B.- Camping can definitely be fun, but hunting isn't for everyone. Heck, I don't even know if it's for me! I'll find out soon, though. It's an Alaskan experience that I don't want to pass up. I'll keep you posted!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings