Thursday, October 7, 2010

To be or not to be

...an early childhood education teacher- That is the question.


Before I start my babbling of the day, I would just like to thank you all for the thoughtful remarks on my last post. Some of you made me think, some of you made me smile, and some of you made me realize how lucky I am to have an online community who is understanding and helpful so for that I am thankful.


If you frequent my blog, you know that I'm in the position that many 20-something year olds are in. While I think I'm far from the drama of a quarter-life crisis, I do tend to question what I'm doing with my life. As an undergraduate student at Tennessee Technological University, I struggled to find what I wanted to do. Is it possible to wake up and really be excited about work? Could I be one of those people? As these questions filled my mind, I started to explore my options. After vacillating between pharmacy and physical therapy, I decided to play the wild card and declare psychology my major. I never looked back. I loved the idea of furthering my education so that I might help someone in the future. Besides that, it was truly interesting to me. I thought I'd never be out of work and the degree would always have some use to me because I interact with new people all the time. Despite my professors encouraging me to really think about what I wanted to do in terms of a career in psychology, I pressed on knowing that it would all fall into place. I began to enjoy research. I was collecting data about real people and then plugging it into a formula to find out correlations between variables. I've never liked math, but statistics- that was do-able and actually, dare I say it- "cool" to know that I could handle math that made sense. I was happy. My grades were excellent and I had plans to go to grad school, but not before I relaxed for the summer and allowed myself to celebrate after turning in my senior thesis.

The summer was the best! I was carefree because -hey, I graduated college! I was lucky-in-love, too because I had finally met the man I knew I would marry. I was traveling all over the country and enjoying what life was throwing at me. At summers end, I boarded a flight to Tennessee from Alaska and worried the entire way home about Captain J's upcoming deployment. Would our relationship survive this test? I was also very aware that I was broke and decided I would get a job for a year until J returned to the states. The plan was to move to Alaska and then I would begin my journey as a graduate student.

I took a job counseling which I was drastically underqualified for. When I got the job, I couldn't believe it! I beat out around 15 other people who had already obtained a master's in the field. Two weeks into this placement, I realized why I was chosen- I was probably the most likely to stay and put up with that stressful job. I was working with drug addicts which is akin to working with adolescents. Typically, the drug abuse starts at an early age (14, 15, 16) and simultaneously their social skills and development come to a screeching halt- at least this was my impression. I got burnt out fast and when one is in a counseling setting they must be on top of their game. I clearly was not and I yearned to get back into school so that I would never have to have another job that stressed me out as much as that one did again.
Image: icudustertoday.com

After only a few months of working there, I said my goodbyes and never looked back. I enrolled in graduate school working on my Master's in Mental Health Counseling. During this time period, my thoughts were consumed with Captain J. I worried about him being in Iraq and it seeped into everything I did. Luckily, though, I'm brilliant and my studies didn't suffer. My first semester of grad school I was pulling a 4.0 and a promise for a bright future. While my grades were good, I wasn't 100% sure that I had made the right career choice. I started working on counseling tapes and feeling as if I were limited in what I was doing. Was I even helpful? I had some clients say that I was but I wasn't feeling it myself. I left school hoping to re-evaluate my career choice and anxiously looking forward to fly up to Alaska to welcome home my soldier.


Fast forward to October 2010. This is where I'm at. I'm still lost and still confused. I want to go back to school, but I don't know exactly what I would like to study. The other day when I was researching schools, I found myself trying to squeeze into an early childhood education program. After discussing my options with a professor at Auburn, I realized grad school is in the distant future if that's the path I would like to take. I would be required to go back as an undergrad. After earning another Bachelor's degree and teaching certificate then I could think about going on to get a Master's.

I suppose I'm wondering if it's all worth it. Should I go back to school and chance that I won't enjoy teaching? Should I continue on the path of learning the techniques in becoming a good counselor even though I haven't been very happy doing that in the past? This is where I'm at right now. I have much to consider. Ultimately, I do not care what I do so long as I'm happy doing it. I know I want a family. I know I want to feel appreciated and helpful in return. I know I want to contribute. I cling to the words of Albert Einstein when he said:
"Try not to become a man of success but a man of value."

I hope you'll pray for me as I make this decision. I don't want to take it lightly because money doesn't grow on trees unfortunately, but I'm hoping I'll have the strength to trust in God and his plan for me. And I'm praying that I'll open my eyes and my ears to his path for my life. :)

10 comments:

Sarah Nicole said...

I have always known what I want to do with my life, career wise. I look at it as a blessing and a curse. I am in my senior year as an Elementary Education major. I have loved it because I have always wanted to be a teacher and nothing is going to stop me from reaching that goal. That is the blessing part. The curse part is that I meet people who don't have as strong of passion for it as I do and I feel like they are not going to be an effective teacher and I pray for their future students. I think it would be something good for you to look into but I would make sure it was what you really want to do. Because the program is hard and stressful but if it's what you want to do, it's worth it. Maybe if you want to work with kids you could look into being a school counselor. It's always good to keep your options open. I'm praying for you.
Sorry this was a long comment. Please e-mail me if you have any questions or anything.

Carolina North said...

Although I think you would make a wonderful teacher, you should definitely research job openings. Yes, teachers are NEEDED everywhere, but due to the economy and funding, most school districts, preschools, etc have either layed off many teachers, or closed down altogether. This was the problem my mom had. She has a masters in early childhood education, and a lot of the time that degree is used for a director at a preschool. There aren't many of those jobs open anymore since so many places have closed down. Just something to consider. I know that you will be successful in anything you persue, and you would be invaluable to a school. Good luck mrsk! I'm always rooting for you!

VJayC said...

That's something that I think about alot too and whether or not what i'm attempting to pursue is what I really want to do given my past experience with it. I loved teaching, I really did and I want to make sure that I can be the best at it so as to properly teach and encourage today's youth. The problem is like a previous commentor wrote there are others around that dont like it so much, that come to wrk jsut to get apay check.It's not just teachers doing that. You got adminstrators doing it to. If you go in and read the history of my district alone you can see it's riddled with controversy.(sp sorry) I"m not going to mention names but you get the drift. When you wrk in a place like that, a place that doens't back up their teachers, constantly cuts things out o their program and just makes things difficult to do your job that fire you start with just kinda lowers to a low burn till for some people it fizzles out. I didn't want that t ohappen and decided to go back to kinda reignite that fire. I know some may thing well either you have it or you don't . I can understand that but at the same time for some people , they will try to keep it burning and do what they can to make that passion grow again. Originally I wanted to be a Band director and marching band instructor but once i got into early childhood I didn't want to go to the older kids. =) The young ones are so funny and it's awesome to see their faces light up when they understand, watch their creativity blossom or just watch them grow. You can think back and know that somewhere you did something to help them.
Anyways sorry this is long long. I came on to basically say I know what you mean. I still wondering about the tsuff you talked about. I see others doing their work and so happy to do it. I wonder if this is it or if there is something else I was meant to do. I watch other so good at what they do too and wonder when will i get to that point where people can look and say she really knows what she's talking about. I'm just so full of doubts sometimes. Im kinda wondering that right now with the bs that I just went through today. I"ll post it on my blog so I dont fill up your comments section with stuff lol. Anyways Ihope you find the IT your looking for. I'm sure you will.

Uncle Bill said...

Mrs. K, having taught fourth grade for thirty-five years, I can honestly say that teaching is a very rewarding career. Your Albert Einstein quote says a lot though about teaching...“Try not to become a man of success but a man of value.” If you consider success as how much money you will make, or how much praise you receive for the dedication you put into your job, then teaching is not for you. But, if you see succuss as how you have opened the eyes of a student, or the experience of seeing a student's eyes light up when they have just grasped a new idea, then there will be value in your life. Is teaching the same now as when I first started? No. The No Child Left Behind Act has certainly made teaching more mundaned. But, in its defense, it has made teachers more accountable. Yes, as other posts have mentioned there are some teachers, like other professionals, that do not put a lot of effort in their job. These rules and regulations will force then to preform, or leave the profession. Those that have the passion will rise above the rules and regulations of the NCLBA and give interesting and valuable lessons to their students. Knowing you, I think teaching would be a rewarding career, but it is your choice. I suggest that you find a teacher nearby that you can do a three or four week job shadowing. This way you get to see and feel what it is like in an elementary classroom. If you enjoy it, go for it. If you are worried about the cost, some states will pay back some of your schooling if you take a teaching job in a low income school district. Also, look into different colleges or universities that will take many of your undergraduate work as credit. Then you will only have to take the education courses. This is getting very wordy, but you may also want to consider becoming an elementary school counselor. Again, talk to a counselor and set up a job shadowing time with them. I am sure you will find your calling. You are still young and have a life time ahead of you. The world is your oyster.... it takes time to make a pearl.

Mowenackie said...

You are right when you say money doesn't grow on trees. School is wonderful, but it isn't the best way to figure out what you want to do. The best way is to just try some things. If you are interested in early childhood education, maybe you could get a job as an Ed Tech for a year and experience the classroom that way. Someone also mentioned school counselor - could you try that on the education you have now?

I know it is hard and frustrating to figure out what you want to be when you grow up - I've always known, but I'm just now accepting that I can do what I've always wanted (write) - but you don't have to figure it out right away. Most people will change jobs multiple times and it just makes them more well-rounded people. It's acceptable in the workplace to have a diverse resume. So try a few things - and don't forget to keep us updated!

Good luck!

Jenn said...

Early childhood is an interesting field. That's what I'm going to school for. I would suggest you doing subbing or become a teaching assistant and try it out before you do a big change like that. I don't know if it is totally accurate that you have to have an undergrad in education to teach in early childhood. There are some foundational coursed that obviously would help you but a degree idk. In a special needs early childhood school I worked at one of the head teachers had a degree in psychology and a minor in sociology. That was in NY where they are pretty strict about degrees. When I went to masters as well there were many people looking to change careers who had degrees in something other then education so I think the person you talked to at Auburn was clueless. I will tell you right now early childhood TA's, early childhood teachers and special needs (early childhood and elementary) are the only places to find jobs right now. On post you also have an advantage getting a job so It worth a look.

Mrs. S. said...

Awe good luck! I think you'd be a great teacher :)

Sarah said...

Oh Kacy, I think you are going to be wonderful at whatever you do. You are such a good listener and both counseling AND early child ed need that more than anything. I feel very much in the same boat. Even with the job, I keep thinking, "How am I going to put this on my resume?!" Not only that, but I'm exhausted when I get home, so I have barely any effort to cook, Lucy's forgetting her tricks, and I feel terrible that Finn is alone so much. The only advantage is that I have an extra source of income to help with student loans. I feel so stuck. and like a failure. But, I like o think that were not alone and maybe even the norm. I thought about going back to school to be an orthodontist, but so much time and money... :-( If you ever want to vent, I'm here and I understand.

Lydia said...

As a matter of fact.. I'm exactly where you are.. lost.. I JUST graduated (yesterday) from college and I don't know what to do next.. I can get my masters in Publicity or Human Resources.. since my Bachelor's degree is in marketing.. BUT I've been considering getting the teaching certificate and going from there... I've been working as a substitute elementary teacher and I liked it.. but I also have this business thrive in me.. so I HONESTLY DON'T KNOW what to do!!!

My advice for you is.. if psychology isn't making you happy.. then forget about it.!!! Lean towards teaching.. and if you then realize you don't like either.. then ti hell with it.. change again.. I was once told that "our 20's are for making mistakes and finding who we are, our 30's are for making our decision work" ... soo.. think it over.. and choose the paths that YOU want.. it may not be the easiest one.. but it would be YOUR path!!!

Mrs. K said...

Thank you all so much for your advice. I read all of your responses and am very grateful for your thoughfulness, reflectiveness, opinions, and encouragement. I have a lot to think about! Thanks, again. :)

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings