Friday, April 8, 2011

splendid sun

Instead of frantically searching craigslist for a job so the hubby and I don't have to hit the poor house (due to the pay freeze), I'm chillaxin in a comfy chair in a breezy, beautiful place and perusing failblog and failbook. They make me giggle.

Jenn and I have had a great time here doing absolutely nothing. The weather has been beautiful since that one rainy day and we've taken advantage of it, relaxing in the sun. In an effort to save money (due to the pay freeze), we prepared all of our food here (except for that tee tiny trip to the bagel place).




I'm anxious to find my way back to Georgia to the arms of my husband. Today, he told me: "I've completely forgotten how to function without you." Apparently, he's been living off of ramen noodles and Pizza Hut delivery. Bless his bones! I'll be home soon, babe ;)

While away, I worked really hard to finish the book I was reading. Do you see the sarcasm here? I actually wasn't working hard at all. I was reading on the beach, day after day, to bring you this book review:

Khaled Hosseini crafted the words in a new favorite read of mine, A Thousand Splendid Suns. I had heard so many good things about this book and finally found it at a repeat store in Columbus for a little over a dollar. I found a jewel with that purchase! I will say that the book might get you fired up! It might make you sick to think of the injustice in the world. It might make you see a tiny glimpse of the heartache that many Afghanistan women have endured over the last 40 years.

The novel takes you into the lives of two women, Mariam and Laila. Both grew up in separate towns in Afghanistan, but later find their lives intersecting in a most unwelcome way. After understanding that they only had one another, they began to bond over crushed dreams, day to day heartaches, and past wounds. Their story is one of oppression, but also one of compassion.

I don't want to give too much away. You should read this book, though. I won't promise that it won't infuriate you or make you wonder if there's hope at all for them, but it's one that you don't want to miss. It kind of puts this whole pay freeze into perspective. Sure, it's annoying. But we're so much better off than so many people in this world!
31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well

We're headed "home" tomorrow. Wish us safe travels and we'll chat again soon!

Love,

3 comments:

rayna MILLER said...

If you haven't read The Kite Runner, you should! It is by the same author and even better!

Mrs. K said...

I keep hearing that! I think I'll go to the library next week and get it.

Christian Single Mother said...

Hope you enjoy your time on the beach. Sounds like fun. :)

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings