Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Try It Out Tuesday

I haven't posted one of my try outs in quite some time, but after I tasted the yummy dinner I prepared last night. I knew today would be the day! Because let me tell you...

You've got to try this easy yet flavorful recipe!

I also finished the book I've been reading today so you'll want to try that out, too.

Grilled Chicken with Spinach and Melted Mozzarella



Recipe print off options found here.  The best part? It's low in calories and high in protein! If you click on the link, you'll be redirected to Gina from SkinnyTaste.com. If you're on weight watchers, it's your lucky day because she provides the point information for many of her recipes.

I would never tell Captain J that what he consumed last night was good for him. He might not like it as much anymore! Of course, I added the pasta and bread, but the noodles were whole wheat! He really enjoyed it. I did, too especially because I just had some more for lunch today. It makes for tasty leftovers!

I've been cooking a lot more lately. In an effort to save time and money, I've begun to plan out our meals for each week and only make a trip to the grocery store one time. I despise the grocery store, but I will say that it is much more fun now that I'm printing coupons. I go to coupons.com and use their printable options. When I don't find what I'm looking for there, I browse around google looking for specific product coupons. Target has a lot of great options, too for cleaning supplies and basic grocery necessities. It's rewarding to see how much I have saved at the end of the receipt when I check out. Not only am I feeling better about saving a few dollars here and there, but I'm also impressing the Captain. I usually step outside my comfort zone of tasty country cookin' to try to make a wide variety of meals he might enjoy. I think he's really embracing this new side of me.

Enough about food, let's talk literature...

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt



This book by Beth Hoffman sat on my shelf for awhile, just waiting to be plucked from the masses of unreads in my lineup. It stole my heart! I've always been a sucker for southern literature. Here are a few quotes from others describing this novel:

"Anyone in need of a Southern-girl-power fix will find {this book} engaging." - People

"Charming, disarming, sweet as the scent of magnolias on a Southern summer night." - Mary Kay Andrews

and my favorite-

"A peach of a novel." - Ladies Home Journal

I like the latter most because that's exactly how I would describe it.

The main character and book namesake, Cecilia Honeycutt, had a troubled life. Growing up in the North with an eccentric mother who clung to her days of growing up in Georgia and the life she had built herself there as Vidalia Onion Queen left its toll on young CeeCee. When tragedy strikes her household, she has no where to turn and is forced to leave the only life she's ever known to live with an aunt she has barely met.

CeeCee's character is one of a very strong and sweet girl who is attempting to navigate through the mess of feelings she has for her mom and dad. Disappointment and embarrassment are not uncommon for her, but what evolves from her story is much different. Perseverance, love, and a little Southern hospitality help to change CeeCee's world, yet again.

All the characters in the book are each interesting in their own way. Hoffman's words leave you wanting to know more about each one. This is definitely a chick read, but it's a good one all the same. Let me know if you try it out!

Love,

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I will definitely add this to my "must-read" list! Oh, and those Emily Giffin novels that I was reading one after another after another...well, the first one I read is coming out in theaters in May! Neat. Miss you! Food looks delicious!

Beth Hoffman said...

Thanks so much for your lovely review of my novel; I'm delighted that you enjoyed CeeCee's story and appreciate your kind words!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings