Thursday, July 7, 2011

Fireworks and Food



On the fourth of July, Captain J and I spent the day with our neighbor across the street. She's a single mother of three and quite the firecracker! She is funny and incredibly generous with her offers to play dog catcher, cook, and furniture supplier for us.

Our dogs are often putting us in scenarios that allow us to meet other people.  I can thank Drifter and Holly for the majority of my friends I made in Alaska because I met them at the dog park! It has been no different here. My dogs like to run over to their house and play with their dog, Budweiser. Anyway, after chatting several times outside on hot Louisiana days, she called us up one day and invited us to celebrate the fourth with her.

The food was amazing. Ribs, hot dogs, hamburgers, pork loin, deviled eggs, dumplins, pickles...you name it, she had it.

We stayed for a few hours, ate, and swam and then walked across the street to get ready for the fireworks show in town. I took lots of photos of the event, but sadly I can't get them to upload.

The small town feel made my heart smile. A Christian band was playing as everyone walked around and talked with one another. The kids spent their time jumping in a gigantic blow up play thingy at the end of the blocked off street. The humidity was 100% and the fire ants were out in full force, but we still managed to have a good time. As the fireworks started, I could help but to think about how lucky I am to be born in this country and now I'm married to a soldier who has defended her. It's a good feeling. Every time the music starts up and the bright colors burst in the sky, I feel like crying happy tears.

Or then again, maybe it's just my crazy pregnant hormones.

Either way, I know I'm blessed. I hope you all had a great July 4th Weekend!



 

1 comments:

Becca said...

What a sweet picture of what sounds like a perfect 4th of July! It's one of my favorite holidays also :)

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings