Thursday, July 28, 2011

Favorite Days

"Describe your favorite day."


Every form of this question has left me feeling baffled and slightly sad when I heard it asked. Am I supposed to have a very favorite day that sticks out in my mind? Furthermore, should I be answering these questions like a good little lady by saying "my wedding day"? Or as a Christian, "the day I was saved"... Or when I'm a mother, will I say "the day K was born"?


I can't imagine the latter. Maybe the day after K is born. I'm no masochist.


Still, I can't imagine choosing one day in my entire life that is the most special to me. Perhaps this is a good thing because it may insinuate that I have many wonderful days, which I do. I'm not sure I could even choose a favorite day this year, but there are many runners-up. Walk down memory lane with me?



Captain J (pictured above) and I were in a small town in Alaska just beginning our journey across America. We were bordering Canada while our friends back in Fairbanks were experiencing an ice storm that debilitated the city for a while. Meanwhile, we were enjoying a mostly snow free experience in Alaska in November, which is almost unheard of for this area. The wind was fierce in that little town. It whipped our faces and watered our eyes as we fought against it with a vengeance. Who else would walk our pups? This day was beautiful to me because we were together, experiencing a quaint town, and marveling in our last taste of Alaska for a long time. It's one of my favorite days because we were headed to the lower 48 on a journey that had no time constraints. I cherish uninterrupted time with my soldier when I come across it.



Or maybe my favorite day is this one- when we felt warmth on our faces in sunny California for the first time in a long time. We drove the scenic route that meandered along the ocean for miles. Huge crashing waves provided our picture perfect views, waves we just aren't accustomed to as East Coasters. There was a man in front of us on our drive riding his motorcycle. We got a chance to talk with him; he was discovering our great country with little more than the clothes on his back and the gas in his tank. As we walked away, we day dreamed about having few responsibilities and the freedom to just simply go.



It might have been this day as my brother, sister, and I snuck off to take pictures for my mom as a surprise Christmas gift. Ever terrible liars, Jake and I dodged phone calls from my mom who was questioning the original lie that "we really wanted to try out the new restaurant in Tellico". Paige didn't have service that night or if she did it was sketchy at best. Again, I love uninterrupted time with people I love. We took photos, ate, and boy, did we laugh. It was a great day (Note: No, we did not give the above photo as a gift. ha)



Or perhaps it was the day we got to finally announce that a baby would be making his way into the world to my family.



It could have easily been this day when Captain J and I walked hand in hand along Tybee Island in Georgia for Valentine's Day weekend. We strolled, imagining the next time we took a trip to the beach that we'd have a son or daughter in tow.



This day was so memorable for me, too. Many of my closest friends were in the same place at the same time, a rarity in military life. I prepared a breakfast brunch for them as my mom decorated the back porch to see that everything was perfect! This was to be our last trip back to Tennessee before we moved for the second time in less than a year.


See? These are just a few. I don't know that I can pick just one special day because God has blessed me with so many.


Do you have a favorite day?

3 comments:

toxiclaundry said...

I love your new layout and all your pictures. Can't wait for your military baby!

Jenna Lou said...

wonderful memories. I think that is a tough question. To pick one from so many is very very hard.

Beautiful new look to the blog!

Mrs. K said...

Thanks...and I can't wait either! I'm working on some stuff to send ya..I'm a big fan of care package creating. Ha ;) Let me know if there's something specific you need/want.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings