Monday, October 1, 2012

DIY Halloween Signs

Today's inspiration?
Source: lilblueboo.com via Mrs. on Pinterest

There are tons of tutorials floating around Pinterest telling you how! easy! it is to get those perfectly crafted letters onto wooden signs and/or canvas. I'm here to tell ya- sure, maybe it is easy if you have the right tools, but you can bet this amateur crafter never does. I've mentioned before that I'm not a fan of buying more crafting or decorating supplies when I have so many other options in my closet that I could improvise with. It also may have something to do with the fact that the nearest Hobby Lobby is at least 45 minutes away, but I digress. 
The point is, I did this project the hard way- no doubt.
And by "hard", I simply mean time consuming. I did have fun, though and I'm pleased with how they turned out for the most part. These projects would have been so much easier if my Cricut would magically start working again (See awesome canvas craft using Cricut here.) Ugh. I'm so over dealing with that thing. I'm rambling again...Let's get to the craft, shall we?


You Will Need:

  • paint
  • paint brushes
  • printer
  • pencil
  • scissors
  • something to paint on 


1. First, you'll need to paint your canvas or wood and let it dry. If you're using a canvas, let an hour elapse before you paint a second coat. Use your best judgement for wood or any other surface. I used a large foam brush.


2. I only did two coats, but I wish I had done three. Anyway, your next step is to open a Word Document on your computer and pick out a font you like. Keep in mind that you'll be cutting these letters out so find one that isn't too curvy and complicated. Use a big size! If you're one of those really prepared folks, you could cut out all your words and place them where you want them to make sure they fit. Me? I'm a rebel. I just guessed. Print and get to cutting!

(Note: That puffy paint is not what I used, just FYI)

3. Use a pencil to lightly trace the letters (if you're using canvas). A marker might be better for sturdier surfaces like wood.


4. Fill in the letters by using a small bristled paint brush (and paint, duh). I used one that was fairly stiff and only used one edge of it for better accuracy.

5. Let your masterpiece dry. Boom. Halloween fun.

Could we not talk about how on the wooden sign that one "l" is upside down? K, thanks!

Happy Pinteresting!

I'm linking up with these lovely ladies:

 

7 comments:

Jen said...

Cute!!!! :)

Ashley Paige said...

Oh I love them! Great ideas and such an easy tutorial! Thanks so much for linking up!

Chantal said...

Very cute!! I don't have the time or patience to do stuff like this... though I might be making a growth chart thing at some point. Yikes.

Nina said...

Lovely! I think this will be my Halloween project for the weekend :-)

Lulu and Sweet Pea said...

Super cute! Thanks so much for linking up to The Pinspiration Project!

http://adayinthelifeofamomandawife.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-pinspiration-project-linky-party-9.html

Karen said...

That's super cute :) And I don't think the i looks like it is upside down at all...if you hadn't pointed that out, I wouldn't have even looked for it lol.

Janie said...

I LOVE the Give Me Something Good to Eat and the Potions books. Very awesome!

Thanks for linking up to The Pinspiration Project - Week #10 just went up today - hope to see you again!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings