Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Hanging Jail


I've lived in Deridder for over a year now and I never knew what this place was. I drove by it, noticed the beauty and uniqueness of the building, but never researched what it was. Enter my friend, Sarah- avid researcher and pro at finding out crap she wants to know. I'm not kidding. If I needed to know something about how a process was to be done or what the latest gossip was during my four years at TTU, this was the friend to go to. She just has a way of finding stuff out. She's good, y'all. Anyway, just when I thought there was absolutely nothing to do in this town, she showed me the error in my thinking. 
We were perusing the Internet in hopes of discovering a worthwhile activity to do on a Sunday afternoon. This is no easy task in rural Louisiana. During our search, she finds The Hanging Jail. As she's reading about it, I realize- hey, I know exactly where it is! Let's go.
Here's a better photo of the old Beauregard Parish Jail-
Not My Photo
History:

The jail received its nickname due to the events of March 9, 1928. Two men were hanged in the large winding staircase that gave access to each cell. They were hanged after murdering a taxi driver that was taking them to their destination. The accused, Joe Genna and Molton Brasseaux, were not buried in Beauregard Parish. J. J. Brevelle, the taxi driver, is laid to rest in Woodlawn Cemetery nearby.
The jail housed over 50 prisoners and each cell had a toilet, shower, lavatory, and window! These luxuries paired with its "collegiate gothic" design were rare at the time it was built in 1914. In addition, a tunnel connected the courthouse and the jail and was used to transport prisoners to trial.


(Be warned that this video contains what I call "the t word". I hate that. Other than that, this video is good stuff.)

Current:

The building, also referred to as the Gothic Jail, closed in 1982. It is not open to the public. The pictures posted above are from my limited view through windows. I think it would make for a great tourist attraction if it could be opened up for informational tours. The location has been inspected by the paranormal experts of LA Spirits. Their personal experiences varied from viewing electromagnetic field spikes, a stationary camera that "jiggled" then fell over, smells of pipe smoke, hearing footsteps, and listening to noises that sounded like a running shower. The group opted to stay all night monitoring the building and considered it an honor.

As for me? I just thought it was a neat place. I didn't get any eerie feelings while I was there, but I really would have liked to go inside to see more. Sarah and I posed for a quick photo outside and then hopped in the car to another favorite attraction of mine- Pizza Hut.

Have you ever had a paranormal experience? I'd love to hear about it!

5 comments:

Jen said...

I love old historic buildings like that. It looks pretty awesome.

Jenn said...

LOL Pizza Hut. You crack me up!

Chantal said...

That looks awesome. One thing I like about the South are all the weird, old buildings.

#mommylife said...

ohh yum pizza hut? :)

Joyewonder said...

Great pictures! Why is it closed, though? Happy you're getting out in your town!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings