Friday, February 19, 2010

Enjoying this flavor


"My advice to you is not to inquire why or whiter, but just to enjoy your ice cream while it's on your plate." --Thornton Wilder



I really thought I had a bad day yesterday. I woke up early feeling like all my friends in the world were far, far away and poor pitiful me-I had no one to talk to. I was stuck in a house with a dog howling for attention and I longed for the same- only of the human persuasion. All I had to look forward to that night (since J was out at dinner with his company) was Grey's Anatomy- and if you've been following lately, you know what a disappointment that was.


Today I woke up with a much different attitude. I have everything I want and need, what's there to complain about? I like the quote above because of the reminder it brings: Enjoy each day! I have enjoyed my day. This is what it consisted of:


I woke up early, too early. It felt as if I had just drifted off to sleep when my alarm rang out, bidding me to the kitchen to prepare breakfast for my hungry soldier. I drug myself out of our warm bed, squirted some eye drops in each eye, and grabbed my cute lil VS robe for extra warmth. I decided we would have banana nut bread, yogurt, granola, and cranberries for breakfast (least amount of preparation time!). I left out coffee, didn't I? But that's a given in our household. After a nice breakfast together, he left in the jeep for work and I hopped in the truck to locate a package, which turned into quite the adventure.


The roads here are incredibly slick right now. The weather has warmed so drastically that the snow is melting pretty early for Alaska. No complaint here! Bring on Summer! There have been several times today that I've just barely missed an avalanch of snow falling from the roof as I walked outside. Anyway, I was slipping all over the place and I was even using four wheel drive. Sadly, I saw two bad wrecks in town so be sure to keep those people in your thoughts and prayers.


Road, upon road, upon road I drove down searching for yet another post office in Fairbanks. You wouldn't believe how many we have here. I finally pull onto a road with a big blue sign that says : Post Office ----->


I still couldn't believe that could be right because I was way out of town at that point. All that surrounded me were trees and residential type cabins. Sure enough, though I come to a little hole in the wall building that had the right address. I enter with hopes that it is in fact the United States Postal Service and not Jerry's Guns and Things. Luckily, a friendly young woman greeted me and gave me the package I sought. (Thanks, Mom...I love, love, love all of it.)


I ran some errands in town and then came home to spend the afternoon with the puppy. He had completely wrapped his zip line around a tree several times and was stuck and whining miserably when I arrived home. Drifter sure was happy to see me. I stayed outside with him for around two hours because he was being so good and the weather felt amazing.


Later, we drove to Muttessori, the place we're taking our little critter to obedience classes (Clever name, huh? :) ) We also started the crate training today and so far it is going quite well. He's doing much better than he did the first night we had him. I think that he was just too excited that night and with good reason! He's got two of the coolest parents around!


To make a long story short, nothing too special happened to me today. But all these semi-normal days with my husband up here in Alaska have meant so much more to me than I can describe. As Wilder might say, I'm enjoying this flavor of ice cream on my plate. Maybe tomorrow's won't taste as good, but there's always my faith that the next day will be double chocolate, my favorite!


I sure hope you are enjoying what's on your plate today, too.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings