Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Social networking--Love it or Hate it

What a day. I woke up and drug myself to the kitchen to make Jordan some breakfast. After he left for work, I went back to bed and I suppose that set the tone for my day. Where to start? I found out several annoying things today: UPS sent my wedding announcements back, door knob is very broken, my Valentines are going to be very late and dried burnt cheese is extremely difficult to get off a slow cooker! As Wynn Varble would say, that "sounds like life to me."

To elaborate, though, I will say that the highlight of my day was definitely walking around the snow in the neighborhood, meeting all the neighbors because I couldn't get back in the house. I finally found a neighbor who had a cell phone (Welcome to Alaska!) that I could use to call a TN number to tell Jordan to come home and break down the door, as I had no cell phone with me. Yes, that was by far the best part of the day. Insert sarcasm as needed.

Oh well. I'll try again tomorrow :)

Anyway, I was surfing the internet when I came across Chris Brogan's site. Brogan is all about using social media to connect with other people to build networks and relationships worldwide. I think it's awesome how far we've come in just my life time. I remember reading an article in fourth grade that warned of the dangers of the world wide web. While it certainly can cause problems with privacy and security, the net has also brought me closer to family in other states and friends that I've lost touch with. It provided me with a small group of contacts of other military spouses when I arrived in Alaska. It gives me a way to reach many people when prayer is needed. There's a wealth of information at my fingertips now. Prior to the internet one would need hours of library time to find what I can in just a few seconds. Ahh, technology. Do you love it or hate it?

There's nothing better than having that tangible book in my hand or sitting around, chatting with a group of friends. Not much else can beat that. But social networks and circles have done me well. As a military spouse, I am incredibly thankful for the advances in technology. Jordan and I lived our whole first part of our relationship via emails and Skype conversations. To this day, I know that I wouldn't change a single thing about the deployment. His words and mine were all we had and they brought us together and they kept us together. Perhaps it's odd to be thankful for the deployment. Believe me, I didn't always feel that way. I know now that God has everything in His plan. We were supposed to go through that time apart because it's true what "they" say--Absence does make the heart grow fonder. That being said, I'm fine with the fondness that I hold onto in my heart for J--deployments stay away! (hehe)

Have you ever thought about how having the world at your fingertips has affected YOU personally? It's a cool thing--in my opinion, of course.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings