Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Meet Drifter

This may be short due to my medication kicking in so I'll just go ahead and jump right in with what I want to share with you. Jordan had a long weekend- 4 days off! We packed our bags and headed south for some warmer weather and a romantic Valentine's Day weekend together. I can't tell you how great it feels to have my Valentine home this year!

One of the main things we hoped to accomplish was spending some quality time outside so on Saturday we did just that. We drove into Girdwood at Alyeska Ski Resort to do some snowshoeing. It turns out we didn't need our snowshoes really so we just did some winter hiking. The scenery along the trails was amazing. Moutain ranges, tons of snow, and a clear blue sky made our secluded hike absolutely perfect. The only thing that was missing, we decided, was a dog.

So...the next day we went to Adoption Day at the pound in Anchorage and found the cutest little puppy, who we're calling Drifter. He's an Alaskan Husky and quite a handful! Obedience classes are definitely in Drifter's future. He was very good on the six hour drive back to Fairbanks, though.  We are so excited to have him!

We chose "Drifter" because I randomly saw a snow drift and then thought about how our new dog would likely follow us all around the country at different duty stations. He'll be a drifter like we're required to be in the military. He's an army dog now! I hope he enjoys his new home. He seems to like his new name. He's already recognizing it :)

 



Unfortunately, we haven't been able to play with him as much as we'd like. On the drive home on Sunday, I broke out into a rash that was all over my legs. Two days later, I'm much worse. It's even on my face :( I'm a sight. Anyway, I went to the hospital again early this morning because I was experiencing chills, naseua, and more breakouts. It turns out that I am allergic to the antibiotics they prescribed to me the first time around. More specifically, I'm allergic to all sulfa based drugs. I feel ok, but I feel bad that I can't give the puppy the play time he needs right now. I was able to take him for a walk earlier, though. I'm hoping tomorrow I will feel more like myself again.

3 comments:

Twelve in One « Mrs. K and Captain J said...

[...] February came and brought with it a new place for the Cap’n and I to live- Read about that here in Life’s Greatest Blessing. There were ups and downs in this month, including adopting our dear Drifter dog and briefly thinking I was allergic to him. [...]

Ding, Ding, Ding! « Mrs. K and Captain J said...

[...] cabinets and found the culprit. Lo and behold,
"sulfites" was listed as an ingredient.
Remember my run in with my allergy to sulfa last year? Ding, ding,
ding! Duh. I’ve got to start checking for that more
furiously because this really [...]

Jenn said...

I too am allergic to sulfa and when we get together at some point I need to share with you my story from Australia and Sulfa drugs! Its an interesting one for sure!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings