Monday, April 19, 2010

The Captain and Her

Military Mondays Family and Spouse Carnival at Army Wives' Lives
The air smelled bland as she maneuvered her way through the gravel and mud mixed pathway that led her to what they called, "The Company." Walking in those conditions with high heel boots and a confident smile is no easy task. Fidgeting restlessly, she managed a quick wave to a few familiar faces as she nervously made her way to her knight in shining armour ACUs who was waiting for her inside. The door was held open for her by a nice young man in Army Fatigues and dirty combat boots. "Come on in" the atmosphere seemed to tell her. "He's this way," they said as they led her into a little office to the left of the building. There he was, sitting behind his desk, making some last minute phone calls. She took a seat opposite him hoping to become a fly on the wall, as the mens' daily happenings went on around her. Everyone seemed to notice the woman who didn't don the same uniform as they.


Moments passed and two o'clock drew nearer. Word was spread that the company should get into formation for the pinning ceremony. The soldier, his wife, and his superiors headed outside to accept his new rank as Captain. She smiled as she velcroed his new rank to him using her thumb to push it on smoothly. Looking up into his face, she knew that he looked at her as if this was partly her doing, too but she didn't understand why. Stepping aside for the soldier to speak, she heard the words, "I'd like to thank my wife for standing by me through long hours at the office and getting home late..." She heard the rest of the words as if they were fleeting because all she could focus on was: He thanked me? Holding on to that thought, she felt undeserving yet simultaneously thankful that he would remember her that way. Then, he did something he never does in public, a kiss of celebration for the company to see!


She knows she'll remember that day for the significance it brings to his career, but she also will not forget how warm she felt inside knowing that she has a wonderful man in uniform who is thankful for her. And she is thankful for him right back!



Her Me and the Captain


 

10 comments:

Kim Reynolds said...

Beautifully done, Mrs. Captain Weigle! (a.k.a. "Her")

Congratulations to you both!

Jenn said...

fabulous.... I love it. Congratulations!

Nicki McMasters said...

Very touching! Congrats to Captain and Mrs. Weigle! No matter how decorated his uniform may be, I'm sure you will always be his most blessed accomplishment.

Molly said...

Congrats! I loved reading this. This is my favorite part: Looking up into his face, she knew that he looked at her as if this was partly her doing, too but she didn’t understand why.
:)

kacysue said...

Thanks y'all! :)

carissa said...

So freaking sweet, and a big congratulative hug to you both! I love these posts!

Laura Weigle said...

Ok now I'm crying, thanks for sharing!!!

Candace @ArmyWivesLives said...

So sweet! I loved pinning his rank on--although maybe I am just a bit less humble than you are because I was thinking more like, you're gosh darn right he earned this with my support!

You (both) done good ;)

Oh, and I added your link for you at the carnival. Not sure why it is giving you trouble. If you e-mail me with your browser, maybe we can trouble shoot?

Twelve in One « Mrs. K and Captain J said...

[...] brought some happiness, too. I won a writing contest for this post: The Captain and Her. The snow melted and we began to enjoy the little things that Alaska offered. Later that month, I [...]

Excitement disguised. « Mrs. K and Captain J said...

[...] pay off? I got my first big paycheck (aside from the writing contest I won months ago for this entry) last week with these two [...]

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings