Thursday, April 22, 2010

Miscellaneous

Do you miss me? I have been enjoying my newly found freedom now that the weather has warmed up. Captain J has been driving the jeep much more frequently this week so I've been going out and enjoying the sunshine. As it goes, I've slacked in the blogging department. Slacking for me, though, is still several posts in one week so I'm hoping you'll let that slide.


The weather here in Fairbanks has been lovely. For the past week, we've had temps in the 50's and even 60's during the hottest parts of the day. I have really tried to take advantage of this by relaxing in the sun with a good book and taking Drifter running a lot. We've also fired up the grill quite a bit when Captain J is home and we're very much enjoying our new toy.



Notice Drifter being mischievous. If there's any food around, it better be way out of his reach or he'll look for a way to get it into his mouth. Wait, scratch that. He'll have it in his throat in no time. He knows he's in trouble when he does it so he'll try to consume the whole thing in one big swallow. He's been uber rebellious lately so that has taken some getting used to.


Another thing I haven't quite gotten used to is all this daylight we're experiencing! Captain J's alarm sounds at 0530 and it is as bright outside as it is at noon. When we head to bed at night, it's still fairly light out there. It finally gets dark around 2300. It's a cool experience, but a girl needs her sleep! I like it, though. The days don't feel as if they're already over when J gets home at night anymore.


I've been attempting to catch up on several things I need to get done. One of my favorites on my To Do list is working on my scrapbook. If you keep up with this blog, you know I just now got around to doing the Halloween page. I'm very behind! I just finished a couple pages on our trip to New Zealand, but I have several more to go. We took lots of pictures! Here's the latest page-


 


 



I have fun doing this. It makes me feel like a kid again, being crafty. Which brings me to my next point...Can one force someone to have fun? I think not. Yet, that is exactly what the Army is going to do to for Captain J tomorrow. They call it "mandatory fun days," I kid you not. Instead of giving them the day off to do whatever fun activity the soldier pleases, they require them to come into work for all day game playing. It's sort of like the adult version of Field Day. I think the idea of giving them all a break is a good idea, but mandatory fun? Odd! The Army does have some perks in this department, though. Alaska, in particular, has what is called "Arctic Family Time." This is cool because my husband actually comes home for this family time! :) It's usually just an excuse to get off work early, but I'm a fan. Speaking of fans...this totally cracked me up the other day when I saw it. Do you know how people are fans of everything on facebook? I mean, EVERYTHING. I rarely ever become a fan of anything because it gets out of control. Well, I'm officially a fan of this picture:



Anyway, where was I? Oh yes... He'll be off playing games and I'll be at the salon with a friend making myself as lovely as possible for the Army ball tomorrow night so I really can't complain. I do think it's fun to get all dressed up for the night and remind Captain J that I do own makeup and clothes besides tshirts, but I am not really looking forward to this one. I'm not sure why. I think it's because it's going to be the whole brigade, which means a lot of people. Crowds freak me out. Did you know that? I don't like to be in a room with tons of people. It makes me feel like the world is too crowded and it's closing in on me. Ha! I do like my space which is why I'd never make it in a big city. I'm a country girl at heart. Just flying into LAX makes me feel like I can't breathe well. Just thinking about walking around down there, surrounded by buildings, without a patch of grass or a big tree in sight gives me the heebie jeebies.


I like my simple life out here in the woods of Central Alaska with my husband and dog. I'm all about experiencing new places and seeing what else the Earth has to offer me, but I hope I can do all that with a little elbow room along the way.


More from this week:



Yum, yum! It's a good thing I've been running a lot. All this food is bound to catch up with me soon.


Lastly, I want to wish my mother-in-law, Laura, a very happy birthday. I hope your day is splendid! We miss you and love you very much!


In spirit of Earth Day, I think I'll go pick up trash along the highway if Drifter doesn't eat it all before I can. Have a great day all!


 

7 comments:

Kim said...

Hey Kacy, glad you're back but also glad you guys finally have some nice weather. Hans just wanted me to reply to your comment about the early sunrise and late sunset. If you recall he is from Sweden and his comment was...wait til mid June! Take Care
Kim

kacysue said...

Hey Kim! Nice to hear from you and Hans. Yes, June is going to be a shock, I'm sure. I just hope I'm able to get some shut eye.

Dave Weigle said...

Boy does that dinner look good! I can't wait to have you around so we can test your culinary skills. And exactly what is a "heebie jeebie" and how many can a person get? I know people can get them and give them, but can you take them or keep them? I know what a goose bump looks like, but what about a jeebie? Are the other kinds of jeebies besides heebie jeebies? Just wondering.

kacysue said...

You can take heebie jeebies from someone but it's very rare. I wouldn't recommend it. One may get an unlimited amount of heebie jeebies in their lifetime, but as to what heebie jeebies actually are--no one knows. It's sort of like a blanket term for all things creepy or gross. There probably are other jeebies but they haven't been discovered yet. I'll keep you informed as new information comes to me.

eureka said...

I've been reading your blog for a bit now, but I haven't commented so I thought I would :) I used to go to camp and we would have "forced fun" everyday. Everyone hated it. But we all thought it was called "forest fun" because we always played games by the forest. Anyways, your food looks delish :) Enjoy the weather!

cait said...

One- I admire you for scrapbooking! Although I consider myself creative and crafty, there is just something about it that overwhelms me. I'm indecisive, so I would think it over too much.
Two- Yummy, yummy looking food! We love to grill too...especially now that it's warmer. I love how the hubby cooks the meat and I can get the sides ready...easy...which is my type of cooking! :)
Hope you have a great week!

Laura Weigle said...

Kacy, thanks for the birthday wishes. I had a very nice birthday weekend. Glynnis gave me Friday off which was a real treat , as I had book club Friday night and had to prepare for that. We did Chicago for our theme and I made deep dish style Pizza in my iron skillet with italian sausage and mushrooms, tomatoes and fresh herbs. Can I just say it was delicious! Also I made Artichoke dip that was out of this world. I will send you the recipe. Your dinner looks delish! Can't wait till you guys are back in town and we can cook together. Did you marinate the shrimp with anything? This is something I don't have experience with... barbecuing shrimp. But looking at your pictures makes me want to try. Oh by the way we are reading "Prisoner in Cell Three" for June bookclub. It's about John the Baptist while he was in prison, I'm looking forward to it. What a interesting bunch of women , we always have a good time. David sent you guys pictures of the boat we are thinking about getting, check it out and let us know what you think. I loved it! Take care and love you very much! Laura or Mom W.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings