Sunday, April 25, 2010

Army Wife Chronicles

I'd like to write something poignant about our military. I'd like to somehow express what these men and women go through both overseas and stateside. I'd like to share with you what it's like to walk a mile in their shoes, but I can't. I can't because I don't know exactly how it is and maybe you don't either. Perhaps some of you have proudly served or are currently serving, but I would venture to guess that most of you who are reading today do not know what it's like to be a United States soldier. That means you're in my boat.

I do have the privilege of being married to a U.S. Army soldier, though so I do have a little corner in my brain reserved for all that I've discovered that goes along  with calling myself an Army Wife. I know I've shared with you some of my feelings on the benefits before, but if I repeat myself I hope you won't mind. I try to steer clear of labeling military wives and families. I tend to cringe slightly when I read very detailed poems or literature on what it's like to be a military spouse or girlfriend. They always seem to lump me into this pile of either Superwoman Army Wife Extrodinaire or poor, weepy, pining female. I am neither of those things, but I can tell you what I am...

Military Mondays Family and Spouse Carnival at Army Wives' Lives


I am that wife who proudly displayed a cheesy bumper sticker that read: "Half my heart is in Iraq" while Captain J was deployed. I stuck that sucker right on my beautiful BMW and didn't look back. I was so proud of my man and I wanted people to know. It kept him fresh in my mind as if he wasn't already. It was an outward statement to all those on TTU's campus (and everywhere else I drove) that I was taken. No question about it.

I am also the wife who truly doesn't believe waiting is harder. Captain J's job is trying on him and on his relationships. He takes months, years of his life and hands it over to the government to use as "they" see fit. I was somewhere back home fiddling on the internet, hanging with friends and family, and keeping myself busy as he was eating questionable Iraqi food, patrolling the streets for hours on end, and worrying if the next mortar would hit someone he knew. Yes, it's difficult on me because he's constantly on my mind, but he has the business of staying alive to attend to. His role is more important and I completely respect that.

I am not that wife who speaks Army. There's really nothing wrong with that at all; I just don't do it. I haven't taken the time to learn many acronyms or even ranks and the difference between Battalion and Brigade (as you may have noticed in a previous post. I totally screwed that up.). Maybe I'll get there one day. I'm new to this, ya know? I didn't join the army so while I'm incredibly proud of my husband's sacrifice, I don't feel the need to know all about his job.

I am that Army wife who will passionately and loyally stand by her man at all times. The military can be hard on a relationship, but Captain J and I are figuring this all out as we go along. Trusting each other and believing in this marriage that God has made is the key that will make all of this work for us. So many times, we hear of all the cheating, the lies, and the scandal that goes on in military circles and families. Rarely do we hear of those strong, hard working couples who make a military relationship work. There are many of us, though which is why I like to participate in memes, such as Military Mondays. I like to talk about and share with others the positive aspects of being involved with the military.

I could go on forever about various perks, but instead I'll share with you one last exciting benefit of being an Army Wife. Time travel. Okay...not literally, but ever so often, I get to drift back to my high school days and re-live prom only with good food and tasty beverages included.  Going to the Army ball still has some appeal to me. I enjoy getting dressed up and dancing the night away. I like to put on makeup, fix my hair, and feel as pretty as I can. I delight in seeing Jordan in his dress blues with all his colorful accomplishments adorning his coat. I love walking hand in hand with my husband into a room full of his peers and feeling as if I'm the only person in the room because of the way he's looking at me. That feeling? So. much. better. than. prom.

Here's a few photos from Friday night-

[caption id="attachment_674" align="alignnone" width="500" caption="We're so classy, just check out the wing sauce on our mouths for proof."][/caption]

My lovely friend, Amy, and Me

Thanks for reading! Go check out armywiveslives.com to find and read other military family blogs. Happy Monday!

7 comments:

Lance said...

Kacy,
You and your husband both play very important roles in all that you each do. I believe that very much. Know that what you do is important too - just as everyone's role here on this earth is.

What your husband is doing, though, is something for both of you to be very proud of - and know that it is an honor for me to be here, and to acknowledge the role both of you play in protecting our country, and serving with a higher purpose. So - to both of you - thank YOU. Thank you for both giving as much as you have to our country and to peace.

The pictures look fantastic!! And hey - I don't even see any of that sauce!!!

Nicole said...

Beautifully put!

chancesimtaking said...

Such elegantly put. You have pin pointed exactly how I feel about that. Working together and staying true to the commitment that we have all made to one another is more important then those that have failed. It seems like in being an army wife you hear all to often about spouses cheating. Where is the praise for those who stick by one another? Those that have never cheated and never will? Why are we so often overlooked? To me leaning on each other with open frequent communication coupled with strong trust will help sustain a marriage and more importantly a military marriage. We both know the Army (and others) come with their own set of difficulties.

Jenn

Kim said...

Kacy,
Once again, your words have caused a lump in my throat that I wish I could just swallow, but it won't go away. I'm dabbing my eyes dry now, so no one will walk in the library to a crying librarian! Thank you for sharing your life with the rest of us who can only imagine what your life is like. Thank Captain J for me too. He is giving up a lot of his life for the benefit of others, and I feel much safer knowing that there are more like him doing the same.
You two look amazing! Wing sauce? I didn't spot any. As for your military marriage? Not to worry with God in the center of it. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8.
**8:Love never fails.

Ann Marie @ Household6Diva said...

I agree - Being an Army wife isn't harder than being a Soldier. They both are unique in their challenges.

I too like the glimpse or "time travel" that some military traditions afford us. I met my husband Civil War reenacting... and whenever I see him his Class A uniform - I feel like the bell of a the ball.

PS. Love that dress! :)

Tracey said...

Your dogs are so cute!

lol- don't you hate when people posts comments about things that have nothing to do with your actual post?
Well, what I was really going to say was I really enjoyed your post- very succinct and clear. I don't know much about the military but you have certaintly piqued more thought about that lifestyle.

I also love the new domain. This theme is pretty straight-forward and easy to navigate.

-trace
PS-Super-hot dress!

zegarek said...

That's a great post.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings