Monday, April 5, 2010

In the field?

Military Mondays Family and Spouse Carnival at Army Wives' Lives Head over to Army Wives' Lives to check out the Monday link up going on over there. This will give you a chance to read other blogs about military families and if you're part of a military family yourself, go participate! All you have to do is write about an experience you've had with the military. Easy peasy, right?

The experience I want to write about today is happening today. It's that time again--time for training. For awhile (before we were married), I couldn't -for the life of me- figure out what J meant when he said "in the field." I'm not one to ask too many questions about the Army because I think it's one of those things I might never fully comprehend. The acronyms, their way of functioning, etc seems to be comprehendable only if one has experienced it for themselves and since I never joined the military, I'm left clueless. Sometimes I'll ask what in the world he's talking about when he starts spouting off a combination of letters that I don't understand, but I keep my questions to a minimum. That's his job, not mine. So, back to "the field", what does that mean anyway? Where is this field?

It turns out, the field is wherever "they" say it is. When Captain J is training, he is considered "in the field." This field can be a hop, skip, and a jump away or it could be a plane ride away. It just depends. Good to know. J is headed for this infamous field all this week and much of May. I dread it, as always. This means less time with him. This means that my best friend, my puppy mediator, my loving husband, my sole entertainment, my life is going to be absent from our home again.

I can't believe how fast the past six months have flown by. J returned home from Iraq in September, but it feels as if he just got home. Why is it that when he is state-side, that time won't stop but when he is deployed it stands flippin' still? I guess the old saying is true, "Time flies when you're having fun." Anyway, I've had him for six months, now the Army tells me it's their turn again. Oh well, I suppose I can deal. I knew what I was signing up for when I married him. We'll get through this week and the weeks in the field to come and we'll be stronger for them. I'm so proud of my Army Ranger and I'm proud of the life we've built together. If there's one thing I can thank the Army for, it's making us stronger together. It gives us the opportunity to challenge our relationship so that we're always building it up. There are obstacles, but we hurdle right over them-together. :)

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

carissa said...

You are so strong to deal with him being gone! I can barely manage being separated from my dog for any amount of time. Yall seem like such a strong couple and I'm enjoying getting to hear yall's stories!

kacysue said...

Thanks, Carissa. I don't know how strong I am independently, but I'm workin' on it!

Candace @ArmyWivesLives said...

Thanks so much for sharing this post!

I know what you mean about the ambiguity of "in the field". I have some amusing stories about bringing hot "chow" to DH when he was "in the field" just 5 minutes from our house. Now that he is National Guard, "drill" can mean that he's coming home at night or it can mean he's halfway across the country.

Twelve in One « Mrs. K and Captain J said...

[...] April, I was reminded that I was still getting used to this whole Army Wife role (reflected here: In The Field?) We celebrated his promotion to Captain, [...]

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings