Saturday, March 17, 2012

Sensational Stories Saturday

Welcome to Sensational Stories Saturday. Becca started this recently when she was inspired by another blog she frequents. I'm excited to be participating for the first tme! These stories will fall under the category of "best experiences from childhood" and will be mostly true due to my memory sometimes failing me ;) I hope you enjoy. It's fun to remember...

“Can you believe it?” shouted my peers, “A real writing contest for us!” Quietly reserved as usual, I could even feel my cheeks start to get warm, my heart feeling like a butterfly was let loose inside my young frame. My words could be chosen to be in a book! No one knew it, but I had plenty to say.

The poetry floated freely from my brain to the wide ruled notebook paper that day. I already had something in mind that I wanted to write out. Later, the teacher read our poems quietly at her desk.

I wonder why she isn’t smiling? What if she’s reading mine?

There. There’s a smile. She must be enjoying that one. Could I approach her desk without her knowing what I’m searching for?

I just wanted to see my name on that paper.

Off went all the poetry submitted by the brave students of our classroom. Off went all the work of fellow poets from most of the Southeast.

I didn’t have a chance.

A letter arrived.

Was there an elephant sitting on me? I was sure there was. Inside the envelope, a note told me my work was chosen to be published in Anthology of Poetry by Young Americans. I must have been the proudest eight year old in three counties.

Oh, happy day.

2 comments:

Becca said...

I love it! What a sweet and happy moment. Your destiny was to write, it would seem :)

Thank you so much for participating in Sensational Stories Saturday!
xoxo

Mrs. K said...

Thanks for starting this! I needed some motivation to write about something else besides baby firsts :)

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings