Monday, September 10, 2012

The One Where I Reminisce

Since we left Alaska, September has been bittersweet for me. Do you miss previous duty stations like we do? We left the Last Frontier hoping that one day we'd find ourselves back there. We've never ever felt that way about Ft. Benning, GA or Ft. Polk, LA, though. Alaska was different and I think we fell in love with it because of the month of September. In 2008, I stepped off a tiny, 12 seater plane to meet a guy I barely knew. He was set to deploy and I had met him only two weeks prior. Still, I couldn't imagine going a whole year without seeing his face one more time so I packed up my belongings and set off to a state I swore I'd never go to and spent the remainder of his time in the U.S. with him. It was September and I was welcomed to the great White North with a lovely display of the Northern Lights.


 We fell in love in September! The following year in 2009, September was when my soldier finally came home after twelve long months in Iraq. Perhaps the events are what made it so special, but part of it was Alaska's crisp fall air, beautiful yellow leaves wherever the eye can see, and the occasional snowfalls.

 Of course, it's easy for me to say this now as I'm looking out to another sunny 85 degree day here in Louisiana.
Part of why we loved Alaska was because of the group of friends we had there. Some of them are long gone now- moving around with the military as we are. But some of the best friends we had are still there because they choose to be. A part of me admires that they have this life, nestled away from the busyness of the Lower 48 to live life in a snowy cabin apart from town.
Our home in Fairbanks


Life in Alaska is not for the faint of heart, though. I remembered that this morning as I perused old posts and found my not-so-smooth re-entry into the state in September of 2010. I'm reminded as friends I still have living there post pictures of the temperature, hail storms, and the like. But we remember Alaska fondly, especially in September. What a beautiful place to fall in love!

(and be goofy...this one is for you, Kristin!)

6 comments:

Jen said...

I know what you mean! I actually really miss Fort Bragg, I miss the fast pace, my friends, my house and most of all the post.

ines said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ines said...

I have always wanted to go to Alaska and see the Northern Lights.

I totally know what you mean. Not so much as duty stations, since 29 Palms is our first one, but more like places I have lived with before I met DH and places we have lived together since.

Jenn said...

I am jealous of your time in AK. I would Love to live there for a bit. I will admitt that I miss parts of my time in Alabama. Not it all of it though.

Kristin said...

Oh my dear Lord in heaven above. Are you TRYING to give me a heart attack?! REALLY!? I almost fell out of my chair.
Not funny.
Anyway.
Yes. Early September in Alaska CAN be beautiful. I tend to fall in love with the fall season also because that was right after we got married and arrived here. However, winter makes me want to break up with Alaska real quick.

AlanaMarie said...

I can totally relate on the reminiscing and missing previous duty stations (I mention Okinawa how many times a day? lol). And you make Alaska sound amazing. Even though I despise the cold, and winter is the most horrible season. I would still love to travel there.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings