Sunday, September 23, 2012

Our 'Make It Work' Moment

For the first day of fall, we celebrated by getting out our Fall Bucket List and getting to work on checking some things off!


First up on our agenda? Pie Baking!

I insisted that we buy a pre-made crust because who really makes their own crust? "Plus, I want it to be good, honey", I said.

Captain J would have none of it.

"That's cheating!" 
"You didn't really make your own pie if you buy the crust!"

As per usual, I went along with his insanity. For once, I was glad I did after putting the deliciousness in my mouth for the first time. I'm getting ahead of myself, though. The road to apple pie bliss was a little bumpy at times. Here's our story:

To really get ourselves in the fall mood, we brewed some apple tea and put some Benny Goodman on the radio.


Then we set out on our journey. Meticulously we measured, chopped, and mixed. We threw caution to the wind when it came to the kitchen, though. What started out as a nicely cleaned room turned into an awful mess in minutes. See?

Oh, but it was worse. I can't seem to find the Before & After photos, but I'll let you imagine the mess the two novice bakers made.

Halfway through this process, we realized that we didn't have a rolling pin. In the words of Captain J, we "rangerized" our pie. When asked exactly what he meant, he replied, "We didn't have the right tools and we didn't have the right equipment, but we improvised and it worked."

To which I of course countered, "I would say we had a Tim Gunn Make It Work Moment." That went right over his head.

Anyway, the rolling pin we used was a large Starbucks coffee cup.

Our dough was way too sticky. I kept telling him not to worry, just add more flour! But he was cautious because he's actually good at cooking. Anyway, the flour turned out to be a good call and hours later we were actually eating our first EVER baked pie.

Oh my yum.

7 comments:

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

Yummmmmm:) looks so good.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I used to make my own crusts, but now I just use the frozen premade stuff.

Kristin said...

I need to start making my own crusts more often. Nothing beats it, so I side with your hubby on this one!
Oh, fall. How can you NOT love this time of year??

Kate @ Daffodils said...

What a fun experience!

Carissa said...

Oh how fun to work though the list! We don't have everything nearby like the pumpkin patch or corn maze but the rest would be fun to make a point to do! I look forward to hearing about you checking off the rest of the list!

Becca said...

Oh my gosh - I have the BEST pie crust recipe for you, if you want it! Maybe that should be my next blog post because my Mom was actually asking for it, ironic since my whole quest in life has been to copy hers, haha. Super cute story!! We gave little H his first s'more the other night. We had never given him chocolate before! He of course devoured it.

Joyewonder said...

Aw! Love this story. And I'm happy the crust turned out well with your MacGyvered rolling pin (another term you can use if "rangerized" and Tim Gunn get stale).

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings